Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxabl homes

Yppej
    People in the Northeast do live in houses with flat roofs although it is not common. You would need a roof rake in the trunk of your car that you assemble when it snows.

I really like this! Very well-designed. I think it's so interesting that the trend--from Tumbleweed houses to houses like this--is smaller.

I'm no longer in the market for small houses, since I have one of my own, although mine, at 680 sq ft, is about twice the size as the Boxabi.

I have found that "stuff" accommodates the space available. If you have more stuff than space, you have choices: mini-storage units, friends' garages etc. I have found that my discussions with DH around "we're buying another skillet. What are we going to do with our other skillet? Do we really need it or should we donate it to Granny's Attic" has been fantastic at helping us stay on track with having what we truly need/want. When we went through The Purge, I learned quickly what means something to me. The rest be damned.

So if you have a yearning for a Boxabi house, you can definitely make it work.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting that small/tiny houses are becoming more readily available. The more difficult problem, at least how I see it, is the land/location to place them on. The ones on wheels are usually welcome at trailer parks, but I'm thinking I would want my own small piece of property. I know a lot of places don't have the zoning laws available for the tiny homes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    One had a lower level, open garage with the housing unit on top. I could deal with that - LOL. Might work for your storage, SteveinMN
    I think their use of the word "garage" is generous. It's essentially a carport; no door or door hardware that I can see. The placement of the cars in that space does not infer the presence of a door either. Having no security for what's stored there is a showstopper (for me anyway). And it's still not in-ground. From a tornado-warning perspective it would be less safe than the rest of the house. But I may be an edge case.

I think we all have more stuff than we need (except maybe our former angling poster, whose name I cannot remember atm). I'm talking things like seasonal decorations (or clothes or winter tires) or patio furniture so I can meet with friends outside in nicer weather. Certainly there are ways of getting around all of these, but at what point do the workarounds become less simple (and maybe less costly) than just having some more storage space?

Another thing I may be an edge case for is #Instagram's #overuse of #hashtags that take up more #space than #actualtext #ridiculous #hardtoread #somuchforpicturestellngathousandwords

Please don't get me wrong -- I think it's a very efficient use of space (a few exceptions aside). It will be interesting to see the line expand. It's just not where I would want it to be.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Again, I really wish small houses--~1000 sq. feet--were easier to find. More variety in general, please.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Again, I really wish small houses--~1000 sq. feet--were easier to find. More variety in general, please.
    I have the same wish... along with a small price tag to go with them. In my area, under 1000 sq. foot homes are still going for anywhere from $150K on up. That's more than I paid for my current "regular" size house!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Construction costs in my area are now at ~$500/sq. ft., so the idea of Amazon Priming a tiny house for a reasonable price has appeal.

The smallest I have lived was 855 for 6 years and again now for the past 2 months. Because my son is neat having 2 people is no problem. It would be too small if he was messy. The first time I used all 3 closets and this time he has 2/3’s of one. I kept very few seasonal decorations. I like to hang dry most of my clothes except for underwear and pjs. I put the rack in my second bedroom. I also like to have a room for guests especially my son. Since I spend more time at home now I need some space.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I have the same wish... along with a small price tag to go with them. In my area, under 1000 sq. foot homes are still going for anywhere from $150K on up. That's more than I paid for my current "regular" size house!
    https://60586thavenuene.coldwellbank...y4V8tuS0oUzSHo

There’s plenty of houses around 1k sq ft in the old neighborhoods in Reno.

Thread Information