Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxabl homes

Boxabl homes

I want one!

https://www.boxabl.com/

But I may need another one for some extra stuff.

They're really interesting. So much technology in the construction and design. It's a shame most towns wouldn't allow something like this; I'd rather see these in a trailer park type setting than trailers.

That's just nifty! And just under the size that my County requires permits... Moo hwa ha ha.

There seems to be a lot of interest and effort to make a variety of mini-homes. Wonder where this box type of housing might be feasible - a leased platform with plug-in utilities? A granny flat in one's back yard? What heat zone?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Looks attractive and a good solution for affordable housing.

Pretty ingenious. I think I could live in the small space, but would need a large shed. For the price or a little more I might expect some sort of integrated solar collection and storage system as an option.

Nice! On their Web site, the words that leapt out at me were Accessory Dwelling Unit, so I suspect this is not designed so much for tiny-house living as it is as a "granny flat", piggybacking on nearby electrical and sewer connections. That's okay.

I do wish there were some options. Just my humble opinion, but the refrigerator provided is ludicrously large relative to the rest of the kitchen. I'd go smaller (14 cu. ft. or so) and enlarge a cabinet or two. Not a fan of vessel sinks, either, though they may do that to buy some space for plumbing/storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar
    For the price or a little more I might expect some sort of integrated solar collection and storage system as an option.
    It would add to the price considerably, but being able to build on a basement would provide storage and a place to go (besides the non-accessory dwelling unit) for bad weather shelter. Even a stairway accessible through a hatch under a rug would be sufficient. But that permanence might run afoul of some local ADU rules.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I love it!! I clicked on the "reserve yours" button and it showed some additional styles, etc. One had a lower level, open garage with the housing unit on top. I could deal with that - LOL. Might work for your storage, SteveinMN. Also says that the company is working on additional floor plans.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I agree about the fridge. The place is barely large enough for one person so unless you live far from grocery stores, a regular sized one should be fine. Don't like the bathroom sink either, but it does give a little bit extra counter space. It's nice to have a washer and dryer, but the combo must take a long time just to complete one load. I know these are popular in Europe.

Two things I do wonder about.....do the window have screens? And does it need rain gutters? A flat roof probably wouldn't be allowed or work in the NE where I live, but where will the rain and melted snow go?

These are made to withstand high winds, floods, burning embers, mold, insects. If I lived down south in storm-prone areas, I think this would be a better home for me than a trailer or even a wood home. These can be used in so many ways: to house storm victims, employees (housing for essential workers during a pandemic?), elderly parents.

For the price, I think it's great. Especially if it's built to exact standards. I'm curious to read about people experience with them in the future.

If you read the FAQ a lot of questions are answered. Anything like solar, pitched roofs, etc., will be added on by someone local they will hook you up with.

I love this house.

I think it's great that you can have it delivered, hooked up and move into it the same day.

Also wondering if you can hang anything on the impenetrable walls. The windows definitely need some sort of covering; you couldn't walk around half-dressed with the whole place lit up like a Christmas tree. I'd have to cover the glass doors in the kitchen cabinets and possibly use them for clothes/storage. And you would need to have a small stepladder, but where to put it?

I wish they were closer to me just to see what it's actually like inside. Quiet? Solid? My dream self would love it but my real self has too much stuff. And so does my pony.

Thread Information