Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestead goals for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    OK I went to pick some lavender to start drying; it is slow and tedious work taking each stem sliding down its length and then cutting with scissors. I must find out how the lavender farms are doing this.

Off to sit in the sunshine to slowly cut bouquets for drying...
    Oh wow that’s a tough job, sitting in the pretty sunshine preparing lavender for drying! Damn but someone’s got to do it! Haha.just kidding ya.

OK I went to pick some lavender to start drying; it is slow and tedious work taking each stem sliding down its length and then cutting with scissors
    I have a lavender "hedge" on the south side of my house, about 15 plants I think.

I just spent the last hour and a half trying to make lavender wands before giving up. I made them once, but was never able to do it again. I know now a whole bunch of methods that DON'T work. Its just so much easier to take the flower buds, throw them in a pretty ribbon trimmed bag and call it done. I also experimented with trying to make a lavender stem basket. That was a failure too.

Herbgeek, my kitchen is self closing and it has big deep drawers that I love. It’s so nice to pull out a drawer and have pans, bowls, etc all arranged neatly and easy to grab one to use.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I have a lavender "hedge" on the south side of my house, about 15 plants I think.

I just spent the last hour and a half trying to make lavender wands before giving up. I made them once, but was never able to do it again. I know now a whole bunch of methods that DON'T work. Its just so much easier to take the flower buds, throw them in a pretty ribbon trimmed bag and call it done. I also experimented with trying to make a lavender stem basket. That was a failure too.
    Herbgeek: I've made them several times using these directions, and I always had good results. Are you able to read this attachment?
    lavender bottles.jpg

Everyone here is so industrious. I just planted a few flower seeds (which are not doing well because of the drought) and didn't even put flower pots on the deck. My goal is to seed the flower bed with grass next year and be done forever. I definitely have lost my zest for this house. It is time to move.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Herbgeek: I've made them several times using these directions, and I always had good results. Are you able to read this attachment?
    lavender bottles.jpg
    Didn't know about the wands. They do look like a bit more effort than I am prepared to do.
    If I simply strip the blooms from the freshly cut stems, do I toss them into a fine mesh bag and let them dry before using

OR

do I let my 4 bunches of stems completely dry and then strip the blooms for the sachets?

I really don't know what I am doing but always wanted to try it one day. Today is the day.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Rosa- that was one of the methods I tried but I was all thumbs today.

Razz- I first go through the lavender looking for long stems. I cut those and tie in bunches and hang upside down. Those go into vases. Then I trim the plants (they need a haircut anyways) and then strip all the flower parts from the stems/leaves and dry that on paper towels on a baking sheet. Those go into sachets or bags.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Rosa- that was one of the methods I tried but I was all thumbs today.

Razz- I first go through the lavender looking for long stems. I cut those and tie in bunches and hang upside down. Those go into vases. Then I trim the plants (they need a haircut anyways) and then strip all the flower parts from the stems/leaves and dry that on paper towels on a baking sheet. Those go into sachets or bags.
    Thanks for that info. I have to hang them upside down as I didn't do that. That goes into little vases which I must find but will make lovely simple gifts for friends. Now that I think about it, herbs are always supposed to be hung upside down but I needed the reminder.

I have 10 plants and they are just starting to bloom so will collect the blooms to dry for sachets. Do you use any of the leaves in the sachets or just the bloom?
    I have the fabric for this so must check on my ribbon supply.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I sometimes use the leaves too, if I know it will be in an opaque bag. Else, I just use the flowers for aesthetics.

It’s lunch time and I am done planting vegetables until July!

(I do still need to put up three more tomato stakes, and a bean trellis that I need dh help with.)

Thread Information