Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Homestead goals for 2021

Thanks IL. They were from Family dollar and Lowes over the years. Now it's Dollar General and I haven't seen glads there for awhile. The hummingbirds like them, too.

So, I am thinking about what I will plant for fall as spaces open up in my garden - so far I have added carrots and rutabagas.

I have dried some kale and green beans, the chickens are eating well and cheaply, and lunch and dinner dinner feature at least one garden item each day. Plus we eat my eggs and milk/cheese/ice cream.

I am doing well keeping records. Last night I cooked with cumin seed - I should look into growing cumin.

the chickshaw is “done” except that I have realized it needs larger wheels - which I need to order. I think the chicks can wait another 4/5 weeks, but I want to try it out with some extra roosters first for predator resistance.

The goats are on autopilot - milk, feed, water, turn out, bring in, repeat. No fence progress.

strawberries are badly neglected.

the new rabbit is doing well.

CL, you are doing well. I am eating the leaf lettuce, green onions, zucchini and cukes from my garden bed. Lots of tomatoes coming, pole beans have been invaded by the Japanese beetles GRRRRRRR. Perennial flowers (lilies, liatris, balloon etc) are unfolding in perfect succession, hydrangeas are blooming and the annuals of salvia and marigolds are huge.
    A friend gave me crushed eggshells and I bought some diatomaceous earth to control the slugs and snails and that seems to have helped a lot.
    The crab grass is still sprouting and keeping me occupied pulling them out in the evening and will for some time. Enjoying this summer!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

CL: Cumin is delicious stuff! We really like cumin on eggs, chicken, and beef. It's probably good on pork too, but we only tend to eat pork in the form of bacon or prosciutto, so no seasonings needed for either of those.

• Removed the rotting wood edging from the garden and replaced with cedar edging
    • Planted more pollinator perennials
    • Put a cucumber trellis in both DH and my gardens, finally! I love DH's trellis--he used vertical space on the side of his shed and made the trellis out of scrap wood and old paint that matches our trim.
    • Cultivated a strawberry harvest
    • Planted three tiny rootballs of forsythia from my NJ house so I think of our lives there everytime I look at it
    • Planted 5 different varieties of tomatoes--23 plants in total
    • Planted 3 marijuana plants so DH can cut down on his medical marijuana bill this winter.
    • Built our own wooden compost bin with slats so we can adjust the level of compost and get into it easily
    • Developed my Japanese garden courtyard to make a nice "back" entrance into the house--includes ferns and other greens, some statuary and bamboo blinds to cover the crap in the lean-to's adjacent to the house

DH and I are very happy to have completed some of our goals for this year!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

After our little heat dome incident that decimated most of my yard and garden, we are now getting some produce. The lettuces and sweet peas are all gone. We now have an assortment of peppers, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, kale, cucumbers, cabbage and cauliflower. We have been eating like rabbits. I'm growing Brussel sprouts for the first time and should have researched more. I didn't realize they are one of the crops that take the longest to mature. I didn't realize they grew so high. I didn't realize I shouldn't have planted next to what I did. Oh well..... every year is a learning experience. We lost several blueberry bushes but those that made it are starting to ripen. Apples and pears look OK.

Razz, that sounds lovely! I would like to do more flowers, but I always prioritize the food and don’t seem to have enough time for that. At the moment my blooms are tiger lillies, blackberries, Queen Anne’s lace, and chickory.

Rosa, I do eat cumin (although I’m vegetarian with occasional pescatarian detours) but usually ground. Somehow whole seed seems easier to do myself.

catherine, you are crushing it! What are your plans for all those tomatoes?

simplemind, I am so sorry about your weather! The nice thing about kate Brussels sprouts here is that we get less cabbage moth damage. I probably won’t harvest mine until after the first frost.

My progress this week is some dried beans and kale for snacking and 17 pints of pickles (12 dill, 5 a new sweet recipe)

CL: That is interesting; I've only had ground cumin myself, and did not realize you are using the whole seeds. May I ask how you use them and how it differs from ground?

I will confess that the gardening didn't turn out as well as I was hoping at the start. Something got to the kale - leaves are big, but with holes all over. Getting ready to pull them. The spinach didn't come up at all, so I'm thinking the seeds were not viable. The lettuce did okay and we are down to one plant left. Two of the three squash plants too and seem to be doing okay. They are starting to trail across the yard - hoping dh won't mow over them.

I think I will clean out the two boxes and plant for fall. Suggestions? Not sure what seeds I have on hand and will look online for fall veggies.

I'm going to slightly cop-out here and say that the job hours and transitions had me less energized for the gardens.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    catherine, you are crushing it! What are your plans for all those tomatoes?
    The tomatoes are in my DH's garden, and his life philosophy is "if one is good, 100 is always better". This approach to life has led to many arguments, such as when he's taking a pharmaceutical, or spending money.

So, now he's realizing that 23 tomato plants yield a LOT of tomatoes. We are talking freezing (easiest) but we would need a bigger freezer. So you save money on growing tomatoes, and then spend money on something to put them in! We could can them, but we have to learn how to can! Or we can have gazpacho and pasta parties every day for months.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information