Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Solstice to Lughnasadh

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Thanks Rosa.

I can see where you need to focus, that’s 4. ��

I am still just hanging with my family.
    LOL, math was never my best subject (although in college, it did become one of my favorite subjects, oddly enough). I kind of vacillated about including the front garden, because I enjoy that, so I'm sure I will work on it, just try to stop me! It's the things I don't like to do that are the challenges!

Yppej
    I took down the ceiling and there is already insulation there. There are also wooden slats a new ceiling can attach to. I had thought there were thin pieces of metal like you see holding up office acoustic tiles. This is good. What's bad is it made a big mess and DS never moved his things out of the way despite over a week's notice. This will fuel the narrative in his mind that I don't care about him or his illness since dust and debris fell on his things and having OCD this really bothers him. After I clean up I think the electrician should be next while everything is exposed. For a year the power has been out to his room and the overhead light in this room runs off the same circuit. He has never been ready for the electrician, instead running a power cord up to his room. So even if he is not ready (it could be years) I want to get the light in this room working again. The light is a ceiling fan and may need a box as well to meet code.

Do it today, Yppej, while it's open. You will feel so much better and safer. Just my opinion.

Yppej
    Not sure what you mean by it nswef. I did the cleanup but am not going to pay weekend rates for an electrician.

You're making great progress; keep moving forward.

Yppej
    I realized I probably need to get up on my stepladder with a staple remover to pull out the staples and small bits of acoustic tile clinging to them so the drywall will lay flat when it is put up. That will be my project for next weekend.

Okay... so, reading all these accomplishments has me thinking of a slightly bigger project for this summer. So far, I've just done the gardening. I'm thinking/wanting to remove the old, small deck we have at the back of the house and putting in a patio instead. Less maintenance, cleaner look - in my opinion. Need to talk to dh about it. Haven't checked yet, but is a permit required for de-construction like this? I think my neighbor next door would be able to use the wood in his fire pit so that would be a plus. And I think one set of the stairs up the deck would work as at least temporary stairs to the back door. Thinking.....
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Is the deck redwood or treated? You don’t want to burn treated wood.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Okay... so, reading all these accomplishments has me thinking of a slightly bigger project for this summer. So far, I've just done the gardening. I'm thinking/wanting to remove the old, small deck we have at the back of the house and putting in a patio instead. Less maintenance, cleaner look - in my opinion. Need to talk to dh about it. Haven't checked yet, but is a permit required for de-construction like this? I think my neighbor next door would be able to use the wood in his fire pit so that would be a plus. And I think one set of the stairs up the deck would work as at least temporary stairs to the back door. Thinking.....
    i can’t see why a permit is needed to remove a deck. But there must be steps involved. Are you keeping some, or building them afresh? Decks, porches,handrails, and supporting structures need permits.

I agree with what Iris Lilies said.
    Also agree with removing deck. My neighbor just had hers removed because she didn’t want to re-strain it again this year… she had a concrete patio under it! Didn’t even know it was there, as the deck was there when she bought the house! Deck gone, her yard looks so much nicer, cleaner, less cluttered. In her case, the guys removed it for being able to take the wood, no additional cost to her. Major win-win.

Thread Information