Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Critical race theory

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I feel differently now about controlled fires on private property, but I don't know enough about forest management to have an opinion on controlled burns there.
    We don't do controlled burns in my neighborhood, there's so much fuel it would be a disaster. Once it is back in proper shape, we might be able to contemplate that, but that is easily 10-15 years in the future with the pace of work to prepare.

Instead, we engage in fuel reduction efforts to make the neighborhood more survivable, following the guidelines of the Firewise program.

Rather than have each homeowner here have their own burn pile, on random days during the permitted burning season, we do it as a community effort. Our community Firewise burn days, on our HOA's specially-designated lot:

- Have a commercial burn permit
    - Are only done under the legally specified weather conditions
    - Have had the site prepped ahead of time with excavator and hand tools to make it safe to use
    - Have 2 trained and experienced firefighters on-site during the burn, making sure the pile doesn't exceed allowed dimension
    - Have two charged firehoses for burn management, and extinguishment at the end of the burn period. We have about 200,000 gallons of water supply backing the hoselines

For about 2 months before each burn day, homeowners gather downed fuel and cut ladder fuels. And place the material out along the road about a week before the burn.

Our volunteer crew during the burn day uses pickup trucks, trailers, a large flatbed dump truck, and a small excavator to move materials from the neighborhood roadside to the burn pile. We usually have 80-90 pickup truck loads, and about 15 flatbed loads. It is a huge amount of material.

I'm glad we do it as a community effort, rather than having 60-100 smaller fires randomly happening during the spring and fall seasons.

For some of the projects, depending on the location and season, we will rent a Really Dr. Seuss-sized Wood Chipper, that you can stuff tree branches and most of the top section into. Household chippers that are reasonably afforded by an individual are so small and inefficient that they are a waste of time.

It’s interesting how we pivoted from a discussion of critical race theory to appropriate burning activities?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It’s interesting how we pivoted from a discussion of critical race theory to appropriate burning activities?
    In both cases, we see the advancement of nonsensical ideas, then a backlash and a backlash against the backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    In both cases, we see the advancement of nonsensical ideas, then a backlash and a backlash against the backlash.
    Indeed. But I suppose that was to be expected once republicans got so far along in their platform of not believing the truth that they want to make it illegal for history teachers to teach it. Decent human beings were bound to start pushing back.

Book burning isn't likely far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Book burning isn't likely far behind.
    Yes, I'm actually surprised the collected works of Mark Twain haven't already been torched on the woke public square.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. But I suppose that was to be expected once republicans got so far along in their platform of not believing the truth that they want to make it illegal for history teachers to teach it. Decent human beings were bound to start pushing back.
    I actually think they’re a few years late in objecting to such nonsense as the 1619 Project being used in the schools. While “CRT” is often unfairly used as a catch-all term for a wide spectrum of ideological piffle, I think there is a high level of falsity in claiming that these laws make it illegal to teach the history of slavery, Jim Crow, or civil rights. Most of them that explicitly clear. They are aimed at indoctrinating children with a particular political slant.

They are aimed at indoctrinating children with a particular political slant.
    I try to read the Simple Public Policy forum to keep up but this comment made me laugh.

I read in different sources that political views are indoctrinated in children almost from birth like any other religion in the US. It seems that the problem is who is doing the indoctrination and what is being said. History shows that society keeps changing and defining new religious-like views except that now silos in social media echo one dominant refrain. If an individual does not like that song, the shrieking starts and echoes. Humans are funny creatures.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I actually think they’re a few years late in objecting to such nonsense as the 1619 Project being used in the schools. While “CRT” is often unfairly used as a catch-all term for a wide spectrum of ideological piffle, I think there is a high level of falsity in claiming that these laws make it illegal to teach the history of slavery, Jim Crow, or civil rights. Most of them that explicitly clear.
    I can hardly imagine the laws making it entirely clear what could and could not be taught. Though clarity and at least you know where you stand.

And what on earth would end up in the could not be taught group? I wonder if anyone can even answer that without the vaguest terms. If the law says "teach slavery and Jim Crow etc.", but does not make it clear what can not be taught, that is NOT clear guidance, it's utter confusion. Again why it is near impossible to imagine the laws being other than vague and a form of intimidation.

--
    I read in different sources that political views are indoctrinated in children almost from birth like any other religion in the US. It seems that the problem is who is doing the indoctrination and what is being said. History shows that society keeps changing and defining new religious-like views except that now silos in social media echo one dominant refrain.
    like the kind of person and when one will marry is indoctrinated in childhood (the gender of the person is another matter, that may be innate). Because it kind of is. Like how much education one will pursue is indoctrinated in childhood? Because it kind of is. Even how many kids one will have and definitely at what age one will have them kind of is really. Actually all this is much more than politics even. Some may rebel but their rebellion is a product of their indoctrination too.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

The only indoctrination I remember as a child was that my family liked Ike (and mostly, who could blame them), and that "under God" belonged in our North Korean-style Pledge of Allegiance. I still don't say that part when I'm expected to mouth the words...

Thread Information