Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Critical race theory

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    “oh, MY! A WITCH! We cannot have children reading about witches.“
    Of course, no context provided, probably nobody objecting had actually Read the book
    It seems more likely to me that some few but loud voices may have objected to its Christian worldview even though it was contained in a mythic tale. But we'll probably never know.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I took those to mean that textbooks should remain on topic across all disciplines and ensure that the dominant liberal meme that "CRT is not taught outside of law schools" remains technically correct. Although it does make me question why only math textbooks were flagged.
    Textbooks are evaluated and adopted on a 5 year rotation. This is the year for Math. I believe Social Studies comes next year. That should be entertaining (sarcasm).

It seems more likely to me that some few but loud voices may have objected to its Christian worldview even though it was contained in a mythic tale. But we'll probably never know.
    Alan, that would have required actually reading the book… which is very seldom done by those who seek to ban books.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 4-21-22 at 8:11pm. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Alan, that would have required actually reading the book… which is very seldom done by those who seek to ban books.
    Ok then, I'll be the one who probably never knows.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

As a young teenager coming to grips with the fact that I knew I was gay I well remember the early news reports about AIDS. What a terrifying time to be coming to grips with a sexual orientation that meant risking potential death with any sexual activity. Although I didn't feel this way at the time, I'm ever so grateful now that I wasn't more precocious or confident when I was going through puberty. If I had been there's a very real possibility that I would have died long ago. The few gay friends that I have that are older than me would need extra fingers and toes to count all the friends that they lost to that horrible disease.

I mentioned on the thread I started about SO stepping up to help a former employee as her medical power of attorney that she was estranged from her family. I've since found out why. She had moved here from a small midwest town in the mid-70's. Her baby brother followed a couple of years later. And then ended up being one of the early casualties of AIDS. As he got sick and eventually died their family rejected him, leaving her with the sole responsibility of caring for him. Every year for the rest of her life she walked in the Aids Walk-a-thon to help raise money for the cause and was extremely grateful that SO was able to help her name the San Francisco Aids Foundation as the beneficiary of her 401k while she was still mentally competent to make such a decision.

I've always said that the most emotionally wrenching market research project I've ever done was ethnography research with HIV patients. They ranged in age from my age down to teenagers. I went to their homes and spent time with them, interviewing them about their experiences.

The older ones tended to be really battle-scarred, with survivor guilt. They expected to die, but didn't. One of them talked about how when he got his diagnosis he blew all of his money--went on cruises, lived large, figuring why not? Then he lived and he's now broke. Thankfully due to NYC programs, he lives in a nice apartment in the Village but he was emotionally tired--even then when I interviewed him in the early 2010s.

The younger ones were much more cavalier, but in spite of all the years gone by, and all the knowledge, all the antiretrovirals and other medicines we have, what we still don't have is a non-judgmental society. Even the young ones are stigmatized.

I spoke with everyone from promising college students to jacked-up people in Harlem. Every one of them had so much heart. Every story made it difficult for me to maintain professional demeanor.

One of the lessons I've learned doing market research is that if people--even the medical community-- thinks you are "responsible" for your condition, they dismiss you. So not only do you carry all the grief and fear of having a bad illness, but you may also be shunned.

I really wanted to write a magazine article about the many faces of HIV after that research was over but it would have been difficult getting permissions to do it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    One of the lessons I've learned doing market research is that if people--even the medical community-- thinks you are "responsible" for your condition, they dismiss you. So not only do you carry all the grief and fear of having a bad illness, but you may also be shunned.

I really wanted to write a magazine article about the many faces of HIV after that research was over but it would have been difficult getting permissions to do it.
    Can you write a generalized article about Covid and this phenomenon, because I think it is out there, and HIV has so much to teach us about exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Not what I am doing at all.

I'm simply asking for a pointer to an actual textbook for K-12 math instruction that contains the problematic CRT. There must be one, right? This isn't just some "I have a list" political stunt, surely? None of the news stories or press releases contain any real specifics, there's some noise about that worksheet, and that's about it.
    The Florida Department Of Education seems to have provided a few examples: Instructional Materials (fldoe.org)

Here is an article in the NYT today with 21 examples of the content in question. I think the comments are also interesting. Certainly not straight up liberal progressive opinions, but a diversity of thinking in terms of the place that "softer" values like self-esteem and self-awareness have in math education. Frankly, I could have used a lot more self-esteem when I was struggling with algebra.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/22/u...textbooks.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh noes!!! We can’t have students learning things like empathy. Completely unacceptable! That’ll turn them into woke groomers.

Thread Information