Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Critical race theory

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Nice that he made it so transparent that all the messaging out there in the news is meticulously crafted to deceive. And I'm not saying the Right is the only villain in this regard, btw.
    Yup. I am driven to withdraw entirely from public life, everyone has pretty much gone insane out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yup. I am driven to withdraw entirely from public life, everyone has pretty much gone insane out there.
    it isn’t in-person public life, it is the the wide “Twitter Universe.”

Today I found myself drawn into the issue of Jewish hate crimes on the rise here in the U.S. but decided to turn that particular feed off after saying my tiny piece. The world doesn’t need my thoughts about that ‘specially since they aren’t well developed any further beyond “why can’t we all get along?” ala Rodney King and “wow that sucks.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    it isn’t in-person public life, it is the the wide “Twitter Universe.”
    I used to think that too, but recently I've seen the Twitterverse bleeding into real life, even in my small seemingly-nice community. I think a year or so of isolation, perhaps combined with the fun of the Trump years, has "radicalized" lots of folks to the point where they no longer interact in a civil way in public.

I almost got run out of my HOA on a rail when I presented our Firewise plan for the upcoming years. Apparently pointing out that the same amount of carbon is released from the trees and underbrush we wish to remove whether we burn the materials or chip it and broadcast the materials makes me a "climate change denialist". Mind you, this is in an area that historically burned, lightly, every 7 years since the retreat of the glaciers, but now has suffered from 70 years of well-intentioned fire suppression. A tinderbox, stacked with fuel. I wonder how much carbon and toxic products of combustion are released if a single one of these $million homes goes up in flames...

Anyways....bother.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I used to think that too, but recently I've seen the Twitterverse bleeding into real life, even in my small seemingly-nice community. I think a year or so of isolation, perhaps combined with the fun of the Trump years, has "radicalized" lots of folks to the point where they no longer interact in a civil way in public.

I almost got run out of my HOA on a rail when I presented our Firewise plan for the upcoming years. Apparently pointing out that the same amount of carbon is released from the trees and underbrush we wish to remove whether we burn the materials or chip it and broadcast the materials makes me a "climate change denialist". Mind you, this is in an area that historically burned, lightly, every 7 years since the retreat of the glaciers, but now has suffered from 70 years of well-intentioned fire suppression. A tinderbox, stacked with fuel. I wonder how much carbon and toxic products of combustion are released if a single one of these $million homes goes up in flames...

Anyways....bother.
    So are you advocating a controlled burn here?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So are you advocating a controlled burn here?
    Nope, just our usual practice of maintaining our shaded fire breaks along the community roads, and installing a bit more where we fell behind(*). But, the material removed: do you chip it, or burn it?

We typically burn it on a lot the HOA owns that is designated as the forestry burn area. 10 years ago I installed a hydrant and some fire hoses there, we keep it cleared of fuel, and during the burn season, with permits, we deal with the material there. Making "carbon pollution" with our smoke of course.

In the non-burn season, we chip it, which costs more, and produces huge volumes of wood chips for which there is no realistic market on-island. The chips are then distributed about the forest floor in a manner that doesn't cause more fire danger. They decompose over a surprisingly-long period of time, and the decomposition process releases just as much carbon as burning, just spread out over time. Something about conservation of matter I think.

I guess the newcomers to the community think wood chips "sequester carbon". They also aren't comfortable with an answer of the form "we do a little of both, depending on conditions".

In truth, we try to produce biochar in the burn pile area when we can arrange conditions properly, and that *does* sequester carbon quite long-term, but it's not a 100% solution - it's about 30-40% if things go well. Which is way better than chipping or burning.

But who cares about fire science, and actual physics, when you can just get irate because you read an article on Facebook?

(*) The First Nations folks, when they were in charge of the island, burned the place to the ground every few years, to produce better conditions for some of the food plants they gathered here, and to keep the forest healthy. The last time a major burn happened here was ~100 years ago, so you can imagine how much fuel is waiting in the forests here now....

A serious iris grower burns his iris fields every year. Or is it every other year? Anyway, it was fascinating to read about him doing that and it makes a lot of sense.

The iris rhizomes arent especially bothered by the brief fire washing over them, and diseased leaf debris is pulverized in the fire.

I imagine any controlled burn is hard on those with asthma or other breathing issues. Not to mention native critters.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I imagine any controlled burn is hard on those with asthma or other breathing issues. Not to mention native critters.
    While DH was carrying out his deforestation project on our Hermann property, for two years he had weekend fires for the the tiny forest he felled. Now all that is done. But anyway, somewhere in there someone called the cops who came to visit him about appropriate fire. As long as he had a “pit “it seemed to be OK.

He also chopped up a fair amount of the wood and gave to a neighbor for their fireplace. We had already made our own fireplace gas-burning and could not burn it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-1-21 at 10:25pm.

I remember when we first moved here, our rural VT neighbor who has a camp here (I prefer "cottage" to "camp" or "cabin" but that's just my elitist roots) was nice enough to ask me if I would mind if he burned a lot of yard/lakeshore detritus in a pile he made on the common land on the shore. I actually told him I preferred he didn't. Looking back that was pretty ignorant of me. He didn't seem to hold it against me, but it sure didn't do anything to detach me from my identity as a "bourgeois bohemian" from New Jersey.

But when I was growing up in CT, they outlawed backyard incinerators, and God forbid you have a fire pit that goes a little crazy in NJ. So I had an inbred perception that yard bonfires were evil. And never mind the fact that my brother spent months in the hospital from 3rd degree burns he got from trying to light a bonfire on his birthday.

I feel differently now about controlled fires on private property, but I don't know enough about forest management to have an opinion on controlled burns there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It would guess that chipping actually creates more carbon release than burning. If the wood releases the same amount of carbon regardless of whether burned or chipped it seems that one would also have to add the carbon release from burning fossil fuel to run the chipper as part of the carbon released during the project.

Thread Information