Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stay cool Pacific Northwest

We might see 100 degrees one or two days every summer, and often not even that, so this is definitely a change. And unless global warming allows me to grow an avocado tree in my yard, I don't welcome it.

Probably pretty much doomed. Canada, yes THAT far north, also recording two days in a row of record breaking heat. Few plants and animals in the existing ecosystem in the northwest will survive enough days like this. That burnt tree is the present and more of it the future it seems to me. And that ecosystem was glorious.

But as for humanity, as if one can say the word without a certain amount of disgust at this point, life is going to pretty awful, perhaps pretty soon. And at some point it moves beyond humanities ability to even influence of course (short of a geoengineering miracle), due to feedback loops and so on. Meanwhile noone with any power in this country tries, the Biden administration moves forth with fracking and building oil pipelines.
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't believe anyone sentient can deny that global climate change is happening. I see the debate as being between those who believe something still can be done about it and those who do not want to change/don't believe we can change our lives enough to alleviate it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I don't believe anyone sentient can deny that global climate change is happening. I see the debate as being between those who believe something still can be done about it and those who do not want to change/don't believe we can change our lives enough to alleviate it.
    Or says, "who cares, I will be dead by then anyway". Apathy is a huge mountain to move. Even with the pandemic which is killing so many, politics, ineptitude, lack of committed resources, very poor leadership, lack of transparency, belief of invulnerability, etc., didn't move apathy until it was mandated by lockdowns. Then, self-centred individual rights activists screamed even as they demanded that healthcare and other services be continually provided. Few countries didn't suffer from this public apathy which is enemy #1.

Eventually like other issues impacting the 'commons', governments will need to take steps to legislate the public welfare to save our planet and life. I try to imagine the governments of the world working in concert...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I suspect it's possible natural feedback loops have reached such a tipping point it doesn't matter what we do. Just bend over and kiss your @#$# goodbye as the saying goes. Short of geoengineering, and most techy geoengineering has little chance of working.

The thing is I don't know it's beyond all amelioration, and I'm not sure vastly smarter heads than mine know due to uncertainty.

So I certainly support doing something, anything one can, about it. But the political system here is pretty much completely broken on the national level (and not all that great on other levels either).

Although DeSantis and FL Republicans did this:
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/us-jo...le-to-the-keys

DeSantis!! It doesn't mean I want him for our next president (although there is a real gap that a real eco-fascist could fill), but this is far more amazing than anything going on in states that are considered far more progressive (snort, all climate bills in CA are failing with a Dem supermajority)

121 degrees in Canada

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ave/ar-AALv0aT

that's why I say quite likely doomed. But I'm your average midlife 40 something Gen Xer. Thus I have lived a fairly long life. Some not far from my cohort like my bfs friends have quite young kids.

When people say "who cares" they are really saying "I don't want to sacrifice anything to prevent this from happening."

It's like the smoker or the drinker who says "we all have to die from something, right?"

I am not hopeful things can stabilize, let alone turn around, before much of it becomes irreversible. I am thankful for all the people who are out there doing regenerative agriculture and trying to bring some wildlife back from extinction, and so many other things like that, but I think our whole system is contraindicated for effecting real change and therein lies the rub.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's just plane hot! And there's no break. Some mornings we barely get into the 70s. 100s every day for 2w now and the next 7d as well.

It's all just hot! I suspect I'll get no food from the garden. Tons of flowers on my tomato plants, but those usually drop above 95F rather than fruit.

Have I said it's just hot?

We've been back to the normal 79-80 for a day or so.

On 6/28 when the temperature in eastern Oregon rose above 110F, nestling birds bailed out. Swainson's and Cooper's hawks, for example, with a body temperature of 110F, found the temperature within the nest intolerable and leaped into the unknown. Blue Mountain Wildlife advised concerned humans to start sprinklers near young birds on the ground. http://www.bluemountainwildlife.org

Thread Information