Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Stay cool Pacific Northwest

There is something about having grand-kids that makes one think about what we are leaving them to deal with.

Death count in Washington and Oregon is preliminary, because there likely are some people who have not been found after their death, for example, elderly persons who live alone or persons experiencing homelessness.
    Year to date 7/8/2021 the state departments of health reported 78 dead in Washington and 107 dead in Oregon due to heat-related issues. The specific cause of death may include hyperthermia (overheating), or more frequently an underlying cardiac or respiratory condition that is exacerbated by heat.

For comparison, in WA in the 5 years 2015-2020 there were 39 deaths due to heat-related issues.

That is so sad. Be careful, everyone!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

And now smoke from the wildfires is settling in cities on the east coast…

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/21/10188...000-miles-away

maybe it will get more media attention, ok the heat dome got media attention, but there is an east coast bias in what gets covered.

Now what we really need is a heat dome over D.C., heat dome went to the wrong Washington, maybe it would improve our congress, maybe Manchin (Rage Against the Manchin) would stop being in the pockets of big coal, well probably not, but nice to think about.
    Trees don't grow on money

These wildfires converging with climate change makes me think of the nun I had in Catholic school who said that the 3rd secret that the Virgin Mary gave the young shepherds at Fatima was that the world would be destroyed by fire. I don't think that this was the secret, which was revealed in 2000 so that nun must have made it up, but it's one of those childhood things that sticks in your mind for a long time, and now it actually seems relevant.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hold with those who favor fire.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice...

We're having haze. Weather guy says it is from the fires out west. We're in piedmont Maryland. About an hour and a half from DC.I dreamed that the woods behind our house were exploding in fire.

The smoke is mostly going around us. So Carson city is full of smoke and 35 miles away and we have mostly been fine. I can walk the dogs most days. It’s weird.

Thread Information