Thread: This is do bizarre.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

This is do bizarre.....

One of the upsides of the pandemic for me personally? I'm doing better economically than I ever have before. Go figure! Hopefully I'm not alone in this out there?

Any upsides for you? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Should have been so bizarre above. Rob

Economically, the pandemic has been wonderful for me personally, in the short-term timeframe.

Investments way up. Real estate silly way up. Some used cars I was going to sell last year are now worth 50% more than they were a year ago - a couple of weeks ago I sold one *to a dealer* for more than I had paid for it new 4 years ago. If I wanted to sell my yacht, it'd go for 2x what it was worth 3 years ago. Etc etc.

That said, much of my community has lost jobs, businesses, housing, access to food, and so on.

I don’t know if there are upsides, I mean now. The peace and quiet during Covid in 2020 was pretty nice.
    But there aren’t exactly serious downsides for us. I guess if I want to zero in on the supply chain being disrupted in a major way for all homebuilding supplies I guess I could whine and moan about that, but it doesn’t really matter to my lifestyle. If I live in my city house another two years rather than another year, no big deal.

Lowes kitchen suppliers are 16 weeks out from delivering cabinets.

Although my location is not meeting its goals, due to an internal reorganization that has directed some revenue streams away from us to another business unit, I have no fear of losing my job as I know I could find another easily. I probably could leave and earn more but it is a no stress job with good coworkers so I will stay here as long as it stays that way and the annual raises and profit sharing continue to come in. So this side of the pandemic I have increased security. When it started I was in a different location and fearful of being furloughed though that fortunately did not come to pass.

Being retired we pretty much just stayed home and saved all the money we would have spent. By the fall of 2020 I had almost forgotten how to drive my car and we spent nothing on gas.
    We got several people driving to the end of our street offering to buy our RV. Not looking to sell. While having our garage sale we got two offers to buy our house, also not looking to sell.
    We honed our shopping and cooking skills and have it down to a science. Even though we are getting groceries delivered (loving it) have still saved more money there.

Saved a bunch while on unemployment due to the "extras" and stimulus payments - which pretty much all went into savings. That said, with the warehouse job and upcoming new job, we'll be at about the same income level as previous. Job security? Not sure I believe in such a thing any more.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Being retired, we live off the cash flow from pensions and investments, which are up about 6% over the past year. But I have to wonder if that may prove to be an illusory benefit, given the inflationary forces that seem to be building.

There seems to be a lot of data indicating higher prices. Federal spending is accelerating to lunatic levels. Paul Krugman is saying inflation concerns are “so last week”, which is reason enough for concern.

Higher asset prices are not necessarily a good thing if you plan on replacing what you sell. Higher wages are meaningless if prices rise apace.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Being retired, we live off the cash flow from pensions and investments, which are up about 6% over the past year. But I have to wonder if that may prove to be an illusory benefit, given the inflationary forces that seem to be building.

There seems to be a lot of data indicating higher prices. Federal spending is accelerating to lunatic levels. Paul Krugman is saying inflation concerns are “so last week”, which is reason enough for concern.

Higher asset prices are not necessarily a good thing if you plan on replacing what you sell. Higher wages are meaningless if prices rise apace.
    Krugman meme:

CDE2583C-9387-48F6-9EB3-D47480268624.jpg

Had not had a physical since 2019... recent results of tests showed lowest cholesterol levels in 10 years. Doc still tried to put me on meds. He did not know what to say when I commented these results are the best in 10 years... most likely from not eating out at all??? It sure could not have been from the stress level!

Thread Information