Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Restaurant Equity Charges

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    The other side of unions in my view is demonstrated by police unions, that seem to exist to protect the worst among their membership.
    Very good point, Jane. Ironic, isn't it? In almost all other cases I'm very pro Union - but not in this one, for reasons I don't need to elaborate on at this late date. Rob

Well the other side is when unions are fighting climate change legislation (and this is NOT new, some unions have done so for awhile, fought climate change legislation, climate change candidates etc.):

https://www.politico.com/states/cali...tience-1386963

unions give workers more power in their employment collectively, the problem is some employment should not even exist.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well the other side is when unions are fighting climate change legislation (and this is NOT new, some unions have done so for awhile, fought climate change legislation, climate change candidates etc.):

https://www.politico.com/states/cali...tience-1386963

unions give workers more power in their employment collectively, the problem is some employment should not even exist.
    Due to my oft repeated posting that I am avoiding controversy I will not directly address that in your post which I find of interest other than to say - interesting take regarding some employment should not even exist - especially in light of union(s). I wonder what other folks take is on this - but I also don't want to start issues/controversy. Rob

Curious what employment shouldn’t exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Curious what employment shouldn’t exist?
    Employment in the fossil fuel industry ultimately. It could be argued many other things as well, but that was what the article was about, unions fighting climate change legislation. I've seen this happen up close and local. Fossil fuel unions campaign to derail excellent candidates with strong climate platforms.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I somehow missed the link to the article you posted. Thanks for telling me.

Lots of employment shouldn't exist. Human trafficking comes to mind.

Interesting that I have spent so many years in the restaurant business and now with the shortage of labor, employees now have some leverage against their employers and are not the slightest bit reluctant to use this leverage. All I can say is that I am glad, glad, glad, to be out of the business and I know this sounds horrible, but in a way I am grateful for the coronavirus - without the virus related changes to the job market, likely I would not have the much more stable grocery job I now have. I even just was given a raise! A whole dollar an hour!

I understand there is something new going on with restaurant hires called "ghosting coasting" where new hires work long enough to get paid and then disappear to the next restaurant where they do such again. Were I in management, this would be very stressful but I can TOTALLY understand why this is going on. To be frank, restaurant work is a nightmare even under the best of conditions, and most restaurant workers are not working under the rarified air of the best conditions. I feel solidarity with those using leverage against their employers but i will not be doing so as I've finally found a place where I am treated halfway decently - though to be fair I was treated decently at the Convention Center, too.

I'm thinking, knowing the industry as I do that restaurants are going to be revamped to a structure - same as is going on in hotels- where there is less need for employees period. I'm thinking more eateries will be takeout/delivery only with only counter workers and back of the house staff - no servers or bussers or hosts or even dishwashers necessary. The CEO of Hilton has stated that virus service and amenity cuts will be permanent and that this CEO sees a future of hotels being a higher margin business with less labor overall needed.

I saw a glimpse of this last Fall when I did a mystery shop of an airport business hotel. F and B options were a free to go only breakfast in the morning and there was minimal f and b staff. There was no airport shuttle driver, no concierge, and only one front desk clerk who had numerous duties away from the front desk so that front desk was not continually staffed. It's a brave new world in hospitality......just glad I'm out of it. Rob

We don't go out to eat too often either, so when we do, I tend to tip at least 20% - as long as the service is good and it usually is. I have/had children that worked in food service and they have stressed upon me how important decent tipping is. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Very good point, Jane. Ironic, isn't it? In almost all other cases I'm very pro Union - but not in this one, for reasons I don't need to elaborate on at this late date. Rob
    Ironic, or unprincipled.

But to be fair, black and white thinking can masquerade as principled discourse. I sometimes find the sweet spot of nuanced thinking difficult to find.

Thread Information