Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Equity Charges

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I thought Biden put some policy in place that Federal workers including contractors for the Federal government had to pay $15 an hour.
    i think that was very recent, but still a pittance for the risk and harsh conditions. It’s starting wage at fast food joints around here.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    jp1 - this is true for some hotel properties, true - but I can also tell you that in the Phoenix market, make that Arizona at large - I can't think of a single unionized property. Perhaps the Hyatt Regency Downtown? I think (possibly???) they are Union but I can't think of any other Arizona hotels that are. Maybe the Sheraton downtown? No Arizona property I have ever worked at has been union.

My point? Unionization may impede this process in some places but it's not a standardized, nationwide kind of thing. Rob
    True. And probably also true of most southern cities since those states tend to be more antagonistic towards workers. I know from SO’s work that NYC, LA, all of the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, most of Hawaii, DC, and Philly are all mainly union towns for hotel workers.

I've never belonged to a union, but about a month ago, I had an individual knock on my door out of the blue. Seems someone gave my name as a potential individual to work towards getting a union at the warehouse. Wouldn't give me the contact name and I have since found out that others at work were also contacted. I informed the individual that I was job-hunting and didn't intend to be there that long. (Turns out, no lie!) Others I've spoken to about it are concerned about the impact any participation may have on their jobs.

Just saying that it was an interesting interaction - one I've never experienced before.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've never belonged to a union, but about a month ago, I had an individual knock on my door out of the blue. Seems someone gave my name as a potential individual to work towards getting a union at the warehouse. Wouldn't give me the contact name and I have since found out that others at work were also contacted. I informed the individual that I was job-hunting and didn't intend to be there that long. (Turns out, no lie!) Others I've spoken to about it are concerned about the impact any participation may have on their jobs.

Just saying that it was an interesting interaction - one I've never experienced before.
    Adding: new job is unionized. Interesting how things turn out. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Adding: new job is unionized. Interesting how things turn out. LOL.
    I'm hoping that's a good thing for you. I'm slightly biased towards unions because of all the work my MIL did as the VP of one, and also, I like to see people's interests adequately represented and acknowledged.

My son was a child actor, and during that time when he worked through Screen Actor's Guild to get his paychecks, I was so thankful for what that union does for performing artists. As a result of the few things my son has done in the industry, he actually will get a pension when he's 65 of about $300. Plus he STILL gets residuals for work he did years ago. If it weren't for the Screen Actor's Union, most actors would be sorely taken advantage of and probably make nothing off their work.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Having grown up in the Detroit area, I have a very jaded view of unions from watching the UAW BS. My dad worked for Ford, but he was white collar.

SO is part of management for several union hotels. The unions he deals with aren’t perfect but they do a good job of protecting their members. And they let fail the members who don’t deserve to be protected. It’s a tight balance but if both management and the union are reasonable it can be good for both sides.

(Side note the union has tried to get SO on their team but they can’t afford to offer him the money/benefits he gets as management)

I'm grateful I was lucky enough to have a union so that I was treated equitably and rewarded with a pension. We need far more unionization in this country.

Before unions my grandfather had to work whatever hours he was told and the workers had to provide free labor at their bosses house if they wanted to keep their jobs. My mom said she rarely saw her dad until the factory got a union. My dad was a union steward.

I have also seen the other side when I worked for Inryco in the office we were non union but paid well. The factory was union also paid well. The parent company Inland Steel was having financial problems and started a campaign to both save the company money by paying for ideas and why they couldn’t afford raises one year. This was in the late 70’s. In Milwaukee at the time they were doing great between money and benefits. They couldn’t do better anywhere else. The union wouldn’t agree to no raises and broke the company.

At American Motors later in Kenosha the workers wisely chose a different path when faced with the same situation and my husband and many of our friends worked there at the time.

The other side of unions in my view is demonstrated by police unions, that seem to exist to protect the worst among their membership.

Thread Information