Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Equity Charges

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I can’t live my life in order to keep people employe liked housekeepers at something I don’t value. I am far more likely to patronize restaurants (which I did during Covid) and tip,well because that is an industry and service I value.
    I religiously tip housekeeping staff because they are the "unseen heroes" of a pleasant stay. It bugs me that people like bellmen and valets (typically male) get the Benjamins for 5 minutes work and many people completely disregard the housekeepers who spend a half hour cleaning disgusting crap out of your bathroom and do back-breaking work to give you 8 hours of sleep in a clean bed. So I DO value the service that housekeepers give me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I traveled, I regularly left big tips because I felt housekeepers earned anything I could give them. At least two of my relatives worked their way through college cleaning hotel rooms.

Reducing hotel staff will undoubtedly be a thing outside of the large cities but in most large cities hotel staff are unionized. There won't be any changes to the way hotels are run in unionized hotels anytime soon because that would require having contract negotiations, which just isn't going to happen mid-contract. And even when the contracts come up for renewal the unions have enough power that they will prevent major changes that result in the loss of jobs for many members.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I religiously tip housekeeping staff because they are the "unseen heroes" of a pleasant stay. It bugs me that people like bellmen and valets (typically male) get the Benjamins for 5 minutes work and many people completely disregard the housekeepers who spend a half hour cleaning disgusting crap out of your bathroom and do back-breaking work to give you 8 hours of sleep in a clean bed. So I DO value the service that housekeepers give me.
    well, in truth all of the attention I get from hotel staff creeps me out a little. I like anonymity, so anyone carrying my bags or etc is not a comfortable experience. Just check me in dude and then leave me alone.

One place I stayed in recent times had a the policy that they will come into your room once every three days regardless of any “do not disturb” door sign, and that is for the introverts like me. I suppose they have to make sure you’re not making meth in the bathtub or hiding a dead body. Also trash removal is important for pest control, especially now as more hotels have food prep equipment in the rooms. The Holiday Inn where I stayed last month had refrigerator and microwave.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Reducing hotel staff will undoubtedly be a thing outside of the large cities but in most large cities hotel staff are unionized. There won't be any changes to the way hotels are run in unionized hotels anytime soon because that would require having contract negotiations, which just isn't going to happen mid-contract. And even when the contracts come up for renewal the unions have enough power that they will prevent major changes that result in the loss of jobs for many members.
    jp1 - this is true for some hotel properties, true - but I can also tell you that in the Phoenix market, make that Arizona at large - I can't think of a single unionized property. Perhaps the Hyatt Regency Downtown? I think (possibly???) they are Union but I can't think of any other Arizona hotels that are. Maybe the Sheraton downtown? No Arizona property I have ever worked at has been union.

My point? Unionization may impede this process in some places but it's not a standardized, nationwide kind of thing. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well, in truth all of the attention I get from hotel staff creeps me out a little. I like anonymity, so anyone carrying my bags or etc is not a comfortable experience. Just check me in dude and then leave me alone.

One place I stayed in recent times had a the policy that they will come into your room once every three days regardless of any “do not disturb” door sign, and that is for the introverts like me. I suppose they have to make sure you’re not making meth in the bathtub or hiding a dead body. Also trash removal is important for pest control, especially now as more hotels have food prep equipment in the rooms. The Holiday Inn where I stayed last month had refrigerator and microwave.
    Remember my post a few months ago regarding my friend from my college days who is actively trainwrecking his life via drugs and alcohol and who goes from mid range hotel to mid range hotel to indulge, get evicted, and then sent to the nearest hospital via police/firefighter/ambulance interaction/drama?

This may be a reason why there is that three day policy to check on rooms - especially in a border state like Arizona where drugs are a huge problem and the surplus moves on to plague other states. Rob

I always tip the housekeepers but don’t need towels and sheets changed every day.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Remember my post a few months ago regarding my friend from my college days who is actively trainwrecking his life via drugs and alcohol and who goes from mid range hotel to mid range hotel to indulge, get evicted, and then sent to the nearest hospital via police/firefighter/ambulance interaction/drama?

This may be a reason why there is that three day policy to check on rooms - especially in a border state like Arizona where drugs are a huge problem and the surplus moves on to plague other states. Rob
    Two of my acquaintances ended their lives in a hotel room (one accidental OD and the other not accidental), and were found by housekeeping. I think the 3-day policy is reasonable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Our local news today featured stories about a several restaurants that were offering a thousand to twenty five hundred dollars as a sign on bonus for servers and kitchen help willing to commit to 60 to 90 days of employment. The report claimed the wage of one place for kitchen help was $20 and hour. Yet they still seemed to be having trouble finding help. Less so for larger places that offered health insurance, paid vacations, 401Ks, etc.

As a side note, the news also had a recent feature about how federal firefighter's wage could be as low as $13.00 and hour.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Our local news today featured stories about a several restaurants that were offering a thousand to twenty five hundred dollars as a sign on bonus for servers and kitchen help willing to commit to 60 to 90 days of employment. The report claimed the wage of one place for kitchen help was $20 and hour. Yet they still seemed to be having trouble finding help. Less so for larger places that offered health insurance, paid vacations, 401Ks, etc.

As a side note, the news also had a recent feature about how federal firefighter's wage could be as low as $13.00 and hour.
    I thought Biden put some policy in place that Federal workers including contractors for the Federal government had to pay $15 an hour.

Thread Information