Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: July Purge

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My personal rule on autumn décor is that it must wait until 10/1.
    That is when the Halloween decor gets added to the Fall decor.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Congrats about the knick knacks. We have more around here than I would like, but... slow and steady. LOL.

I had a friend who used to change out for the season (as well as holidays!!!) from knick knacks all the way to full sets of dishes in the kitchen! Personally, that's too much for me. But it made her happy.
    Oh, I don't go that far. Don't have dishes for every season. Use the same ones year round. I do have a couple dish towels that I rotate depending on the time of year as well as table runners and placemats.

Last day of July so I got back into the storage room. This is what will be going out of my house...

2 hand towels
    2 lamps
    3 desk/office chairs
    1 TV
    1 vacuum

Getting rid of a bunch of boxes from online orders that have accumulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    Last day of July so I got back into the storage room. This is what will be going out of my house...

2 hand towels
    2 lamps
    3 desk/office chairs
    1 TV
    1 vacuum
    Edit...
    Only got rid of one of the chairs but found another TV that could go. I will have to load the other two chairs in our truck and take them to the dump another time. The rest fit in my trunk and I will put them in the dumpster at work on Monday.

What is the purpose of keeping track of the number of things you purge? I don't understand that. What does it mat†er?

For me, it is more about being surprised at the number of items I can find at one time to declutter because I always think that I am at a point where there is nothing left to declutter. The only real room in my house now that has random stuff in it is the storage room and honestly most of the stuff is things my husband wants to keep around. He has no clue that when he and the youngest go to get Slurpees every Saturday, I use that time to load up stuff that I want to get rid of. He caught me one time decluttering the attached garage but I had already stuck the stuff in my trunk so it looked like I was just in there looking around. Even I am shocked when I looked in the storage room just now and remembered just a few weeks ago how much unnecessary stuff was in there. Once I do get those other 2 chairs out, I think I will truly be at a point where there is nothing else that can go. Is there things I would like to go?? Yes but that stuff means something to my husband so it stays. Like his record player and albums. Hasn't used it in 24 years but he would be pissed if it was gone. I know my limits when it comes to getting things out.

It has been 6 weeks since I left the company I worked for 20+ years. In the computer room I had two boxes from my office. I had on my list today to get started going through them. Nearly 20 years of Hawaii calendars. I loved those cheap ABC stores calendars. I started flipping through them. They consisted of sick days of my employees I noted, the occasional vacation days, and appointments with vendors. Seriously, remind me of why I kept all of these?!* I kept one that had some great photographs of the island. Tossed the others. I had 9 empty Altoids tins. Yeah people can do crafty stuff with them...but not me. Tossed them. Miscellaneous name brand mementos, tossed. The rest I found a new home for - some in the donation box. Why to we hang on to this stuff?!

*when I told my wife this she said she keeps her calendars, so one day when she writes her memoirs she will have the notes she made on them. We both laughed, yeah that is never happening.

Yeah... awards ... retired what to do with it... some are crystal. What a waste. Even at the time wished they would just have given me the money spent on the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Yeah... awards ... retired what to do with it... some are crystal. What a waste. Even at the time wished they would just have given me the money spent on the crap.
    I threw mine away. I did keep one thing from my job that wasnt an “award” exactly since it was given to all senior management and board members, but it was cool: a 3” x5” x 3” glass block made from the floor of the 1912 library building where I worked. During renovation of that building, that floor was removed. People are pretty sentimental about the old glass floors in library stacks.

I keep 2 neighborhood awards around and will move them to Hermann because they are practical and cool. They utilize architectural elements that symbolize my neighborhood. I love the objects and they are SUPER heavy. I use them as door stops.

45180D9C-2F2F-4815-825A-D168A012DF7D.jpg

IL, those are neat.

Thread Information