Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Visiting with family event this week for the first time in two years due to covid disrupting the usual get-togethers. Despite Facetime and regular phone calls, I did miss them.

I had something to look forward to every day, visited with friends properly masked and spaced, walked 5 km with dog every day, took online courses and read online a lot; attended church services via zoom and will continue this. I love working in my garden, enjoy the flowers every morning and evening lounging on my patio, busy processing winter supplies. I have everything I need.
    In fact, I am and was content.
    Those who struggled through the winter have my sympathy because that can feel very restrictive.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The New York Times website has an interactive tool that can be used to see the New Daily Confirmed Cases Over the Last 7 Days per 100,000 Population by County.

As a arbitrary rule of thumb, I would avoid planning to travel in a county where the number is greater than 25 per 100K. Formerly in OR (and perhaps other states -- I don't know) 25 was deemed to be a "tipping point". More than 25 triggered the advice to stay at home.

With the roll-out of vaccines most state governors have declared victory over the virus, and they tell people not to be hesitant to get the shots... and they may also tell parents to "strongly consider" having their children vaccinated (if old enough) before going to school in the fall.

The uneven uptake on vaccine has resulted in certain states (UT comes to mind, but there are many others ) where more than half the population is unvaccinated, and public health spokespersons warn that they are acting as though there is no virus to be concerned about.

So, another rule of thumb could be the percentage of a state population that is fully vaccinated. My DW would like to limit travel to states where it is greater than 70% (ye olde "herd immunity"). By this standard, DW will be staying at home until a lot more people go for the vax. ME and MA are the closest states at 63%. Then comes CT at 62%

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...vid-cases.html

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A grocery store has been out of sambol oolek for two weeks. I don’t know if this portends shortage or not.
    What do you use this in ... just one thing or a number?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    What do you use this in ... just one thing or a number?
    I add it to anything with a tomato sauce.

I was thinking today that I hope come September that paranoia goes up but restrictions do not. That way I can go places on my vacation week and they might not be so crowded from pent up demand.

Sambal oelek is made of ground chilis, vinegar, and salt, and there's an alternate version with added garlic. I use it in everything from eggs to sauces to most savory dishes. It's a staple in many Asian recipes. Marion's Kitchen on YouTube can provide lots of ideas.

I've never heard of sambal oelek before. Based on the various recipes I looked at online, dh would love it - as he really likes "hot". Me, not so much. Looks good, though.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A grocery store has been out of sambal oolek for two weeks. I don’t know if this portends shortage or not.
    We had some carpet restretched so I had to take all my books out of the bookshelves. I decided to cull the books before putting back on the shelves. I came across a book of spices and it told how to make sambal oelek. I thought it was interesting what is in some of the commercial products too. YLMV

Jars of sambal can be bought in many Oriental shops and in some delis, but it is quite easy to make your own, especially with a food processor. This is the most basic sambal. To make other sambals, ingredients as trassi or blachan (a firm paste made of rotten shrimp) and candlenuts are added to the mix.

To make your own:

Sambal Oelek
    8 oz fresh red chilies
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soft brown sugar

Heat a heavy frying pan and put in the chilies after 2-3 minutes.
    Dry roast over a medium heat for a few minutes. Cool, then chop finely and pound to a paste with salt and sugar.
    The chili seeds may be taken out, or left in if you want a really fiery relish. The sambal will keep a week or so in the refrigerator.

*IMO you could freeze in ice cube trays.

I've seen aromatic pastes made in a simple mortar and pestle. Ginger/garlic is a classic.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We had some carpet restretched so I had to take all my books out of the bookshelves. I decided to cull the books before putting back on the shelves. I came across a book of spices and it told how to make sambal oelek. I thought it was interesting what is in some of the commercial products too. YLMV

Jars of sambal can be bought in many Oriental shops and in some delis, but it is quite easy to make your own, especially with a food processor. This is the most basic sambal. To make other sambals, ingredients as trassi or blachan (a firm paste made of rotten shrimp) and candlenuts are added to the mix.

To make your own:

Sambal Oelek
    8 oz fresh red chilies
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soft brown sugar

Heat a heavy frying pan and put in the chilies after 2-3 minutes.
    Dry roast over a medium heat for a few minutes. Cool, then chop finely and pound to a paste with salt and sugar.
    The chili seeds may be taken out, or left in if you want a really fiery relish. The sambal will keep a week or so in the refrigerator.

*IMO you could freeze in ice cube trays.
    I am totally going to try making this! I'd never even heard of this before running across sambal oelek on this post. Doesn't seem all that hard, either. Rob

Thread Information