Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I posted on this thread earlier and then didn't like it and deleted it, but I do want to comment on the bottom line and the questions posed by the OP. I do think of travel differently now. First of all, I'm so close to retirement, maybe by a couple of years. I have a million-plus miles in the air, and I have enjoyed immensely the opportunity to see all the places I otherwise wouldn't have seen if I had had to pay for them myself.

COVID may have put a hard stop to these business/personal adventures. My last plane flight was in January of 2020, to Buffalo, NY of all places. I'm still working solidly, but all from the comfort of my own home, and I sometimes wonder, is this it?? No one has asked me to go to another city to do market research since COVID.

So then I think about what do I WANT to do? DH is happy here. I really have no desire to fly at this very moment, subject to change. I'll do a road trip, for sure, but I really don't know if this sea-change in my worklife will determine my opportunities for travel in the future. Is it over? And if it is, I think I'm OK with that.
    That's wonderful, but I sense from your post that your decision to be "ok" with no more air-travel is due to things other than JUST Covid.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    That's wonderful, but I sense from your post that your decision to be "ok" with no more air-travel is due to things other than JUST Covid.
    You must have read my other post prior to my deleting it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

For me as I think about it, it is still too early to consider traveling outside the province, too many unknowns. It's as though my trust that people will conduct themselves with common sense and compassion for the 'other' around them has been tested and found wanting to some degree.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am retiring in 2 weeks. For months DH and I have been trying to purchase a used tent trailer pop-out type as we'd like to do some U.S. travel. We don't really want to buy new, although I suppose we could. The thing is, when we contact someone regarding their advertised tent trailer, they are gone already, usually within a day or so, or same day.

It's almost like the real estate market here. No one has to wait longer than a week, if that, to sell their home. My daughter's next door neighbor sold theirs in one day and the buyer offered 50K more than the asking price.

I wonder what's going on with the camping industry? Are people buying all the used ones to live in part-time? I did not anticipate having this much trouble buying a tent trailer.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yay!!! Congrats on your impending retirement!!!

The same housing situation here. One neighbor sold their house within 4 hours of showing and another within a day. A realtor here said sometimes people are getting up to 60 offers for their house…. there is such a shortage of homes for sale. I also heard that more people are camping because they don’t want to stay in hotels but rather their own accommodations because of COVID and also biting on the bit to travel after being isolated at home for so long. When does the rent moratorium end? Could be that people are looking for other living arrangements??? Wonder if it would be prohibitive to rent a camper in the interim?

Congrats on your upcoming retirement! Hope you find a trailer.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Campers and trailer trailers are much in demand due to covid. Has little or nothing to do with people needing them to live in. People don’t want to stay in hotels, couldn’t travel to a lot of usual places, so are turning to camping. The Tab tear drop trailers I was posting about a few months back had at least a 6 month lead time, if not more.

A friend in Michigan sold his older pop-up camper for stupid money last summer. Said he posted it on Craigslist and it was gone very quickly.

Sold our motor home a year too early). Although it doesn’t matter because we felt sorry for the 2 older divorced sisters with 3 rescue dogs and sold it much cheaper than we could have gotten even then. The chi cuddling me and snuggling his head in my neck sealed the deal.

I would love to see different people and places, but I am hesitant to make lengthy trips. I am not terribly worried about being infected by COVID, because DW and I are vaccinated, and so far the "breakthrough" infections are few, and rarely result in hospitalization. However, the spread of COVID in some of the places I would like to see is about 30x worse than my home county (and most of the other counties in northern WI). So I believe that if I traveled to such places for a visit, I would find people stressed out... locals and fellow-travelers alike! Additionally I expect local people to be stressed out by drought and wildfires (and smoke).

So unless there are some dramatic improvements in conditions, I am likely to stay close to home, and let the Curmudgeon of the Garden keep one eye on me.

000_0563 (2).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I wonder what's going on with the camping industry? Are people buying all the used ones to live in part-time? I did not anticipate having this much trouble buying a tent trailer.
    It might not be universal, but our local news has had features on service workers in popular tourist towns who are camping out on public land, since local housing is unaffordable. It prossibly makes more sense that it is the same phenomena as used pickups or recreation equipment in general. Pent up demand and shortages in the supply chain for new.

Thread Information