Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Just as I asked above, do you view travel differently now?

Not just due to covid related hassles and cancellations and uncertainties. I'm also thinking of the recent 121F in British Colombia (still have a hard time wrapping my head around that one) and 116F in my beloved Portland and also Salem, Oregon.

I personally am a firm believer in global warming, with numerous culprits - among them being air travel. I've wanted to do some real travelling - long term style - at some point in my life but now I'm thinking I might not be roaming the same distances as I had hoped to.

I realize that there are completely valid reasons to get on a plane even in light of what I have posted above - but I am taking heart in the reduction in business travel said to be taking place - do we really need that level of emissions to jet businesspeople around the planet for face time at one hour meetings, regardless of their status and stature?

I also realize that the above is very easy for me to post - one of the perks of living in Arizona is that I can be sweating in Phoenix and in less than three hours, be in Flagstaff in freshly fallen snow. There is a great deal of diversity in this state in terms of vegetation and scenery and landscape, climate and altitude. Such makes it easier to be content with roaming less far.

But I digress - where do you stand on travel at the moment? And what shapes your choice? For those travelling less - is this because of the reasons I have posted, or ? I'm really keen on other people's motivations for both travelling less and for making no changes. No controversy, no judgement from me. Rob

Yppej
    I have a goal to travel closer to home every year. This has been due to environmental concerns, difficulty of traveling with my son (won't even try this year), the desire of my brother in the area to do things locally (he is super green), the cost savings of not staying in hotels, and the fact that I spend less time traveling and more time enjoying my destination.

Last year I was down to 2 hours, this year for Father's Day I went somewhere with my parents and brothers 1 1/2 hours away (and even that necessitated multiple pit stops), and now my goal is to stay within a one hour radius of my home.

I found a website that will draw you a map of distances from your home that I use:

https://www.oalley.net/

In the past, my travel has pretty much always been based on costs, time and opportunity. I actually have airline tickets in hand to fly to see my mother. Since I have limited time between the current and new job, flying is the best way to see her and spend a decent amount of time on the actual visit versus travel time, and the saved UE bonus is paying for the ticket.

I actually want to travel more in the future. While I'm still working, most of those trips would be local and probably by car. However, I would still like to get to Hawaii and Alaska one of these years.

Hypothetical question - I wonder what the difference is of one hundred people on a plane flying to the same destination versus those 100 hundred people getting in their cars and driving to that destination?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    In the past, my travel has pretty much always been based on costs, time and opportunity. I actually have airline tickets in hand to fly to see my mother. Since I have limited time between the current and new job, flying is the best way to see her and spend a decent amount of time on the actual visit versus travel time, and the saved UE bonus is paying for the ticket.

I actually want to travel more in the future. While I'm still working, most of those trips would be local and probably by car. However, I would still like to get to Hawaii and Alaska one of these years.

Hypothetical question - I wonder what the difference is of one hundred people on a plane flying to the same destination versus those 100 hundred people getting in their cars and driving to that destination?
    Typically you would not have 100 cars traveling because many people travel with someone else, especially for leisure travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Typically you would not have 100 cars traveling because many people travel with someone else, especially for leisure travel.
    Key word - Hypothetical. Look it up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

It's complex but flying is generally believed to be worse

Here's the article I was looking for, planes may have a greater impact on warming the climate than just their greenhouse gas emissions.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-a...-planet-warmer

I have not actually been on a plane in over a decade. Yes, that is why. But really our personal impact is complex and we need so much more than that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thanks, ANM. Very informative article. It does say that there are things that can be done with flights that will effect change. If flying is going to persist, it would be nice if these alternatives and adjustments were made.

Still too close to the pandemic to travel very far.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Key word - Hypothetical. Look it up.
    No need to be snarky. You aren't acting like a HAPPY person HAPPYstuff.

I hope that business travel will be replaced much more by online meetings. At a previous job, there were many trips that I viewed as largely useless. One hour meeting? Do it online.

Thread Information