Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

I’m active on a big diving forum. Cozumel is having a massive surge of cases right now, but people are still going for trips. I just don’t get it.

My kids were extremely paranoid before getting the vaccine and now are traveling to Poland to see my DIL’s parents. The whole point of getting the vaccine was to get our lives back so I wonder why some vaccinated people are so cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My kids were extremely paranoid before getting the vaccine and now are traveling to Poland to see my DIL’s parents. The whole point of getting the vaccine was to get our lives back so I wonder why some vaccinated people are so cautious.
    Vaccines don’t cover us 100%. That is why.

the Thought of being in a foreign country and sick gives me pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the fact that the vaccine is NOT a miracle prevent-all against covid and any variants, I still do not want to get sick or make anyone else sick. Also, having lost extended family members to covid as recently as 2 months ago is a good enough reminder to me that this virus and its variants are definitely still around. It's just that simple.

I AM going out and living my life, but I'm still taking easy, simple precautions to protect both myself and others.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In Poland the kids would just pay for private health care which is cheap. I lost a good friend to Covid before the vaccine came out. I know they aren’t 100% but the odds are you won’t die from it if vaccinated. Unless things change drastically and vaccinated people start dropping like flies I am going to enjoy the time I have left. I have lost 5 friends to cancer in their 50’s and 60’s. If states shut down of course I will follow the rules. If I lived with someone immune comprised it would be different. I think everyone now can make their own decisions based on their individual circumstances. I am not judging what anyone chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the fact that the vaccine is NOT a miracle prevent-all against covid and any variants, I still do not want to get sick or make anyone else sick. Also, having lost extended family members to covid as recently as 2 months ago is a good enough reminder to me that this virus and its variants are definitely still around. It's just that simple.

I AM going out and living my life, but I'm still taking easy, simple precautions to protect both myself and others.
    This is exactly my take on it.

Exactly my dcision as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It's a reasonable approach but it doesn't really lend itself to moralism and absolutism as it's by definition imperfect.

I was at the breaking point of psychologically accommodating to living with the threat of this disease 6 months in probably less, but I also REALLY didn't want the disease nor to give it to vulnerable people I knew, so kept on in a broken stumbling on the endless road, going on even though I was beyond exhausted, in the pandemic that might never end and that I tried to accept might never end. But with vaccines it is an entirely different territory. But even if we didn't have them, everyone is so tired.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It's a reasonable approach but it doesn't really lend itself to moralism and absolutism as it's by definition imperfect.

I was at the breaking point of psychologically accommodating to living with the threat of this disease 6 months in probably less, but I also REALLY didn't want the disease nor to give it to vulnerable people I knew, so kept on in a broken stumbling on the endless road, going on even though I was beyond exhausted, in the pandemic that might never end and that I tried to accept might never end. But with vaccines it is a different territory. But even if we didn't have them, everyone is so tired.
    I'm so sorry that you have had such a rough time. I'm glad the vaccine, and your method of handling things going forward, is working for you.

And, of course, it's imperfect. Life is imperfect. I'm fortunate in that not "everyone" I know is tired, but have learned to adapt, adjust and continue. For me, it is an ever-changing process. For me "back to normal" today will never be the same as "normal" 1.5 years ago, nor was THAT normal the same as my "normal" 1.5 years before that. For me, life is ever-changing and I'm willing to adjust and change and do what I can moving forward; and - for me - that also includes continuing to do what I can for myself AND others.

And, because folks seems to be a bit sensitive across the forums lately - the above is how *I* am seeing and handling things - NOT a criticism/judgement of anyone else!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am sorry too, ANM. The pandemic & shut-down was definitely more difficult for some people:
    Those who live alone
    Those who have troubled or difficult relationships with their housemates
    Those who live in apartments or smaller confined spaces without an outdoor space
    Extroverts
    I count myself as fortunate on all of those points. I don't say this with an attitude of smugness, rather an attitude of being grateful and acknowledging my privilege.

Thread Information