Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I wonder what's going on with the camping industry? Are people buying all the used ones to live in part-time? I did not anticipate having this much trouble buying a tent trailer.
    We've been on the road since the first of June and so far have visited 8 states and stayed in 14 RV parks which seem to be near 100% occupancy daily. In the dozen or so years we've wandered around the country in the summers, we've never seen the volume of RV'ers that we have this year.
    I think a lockdown year and inability to travel abroad has changed peoples idea of vacation travel and visiting new places while still living in your own home has become much more popular.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I just talked to my Hermann neighbor who runs a Bed and Breakfast Inn. He has been full up most if the summer, not just weekends.

We're jam packed on the Islands. There's nothing available. I know, because we had to book my son/DIL/GSs a rental for their 10 days here in August. We couldn't find a thing for them, and then we spotted something in our local online "paper" and drove directly to the house to check it out without calling the owner. He happened to be outside and let us see it, and there were two other cars behind us.
    Last edited by catherine; 7-23-21 at 9:22am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

well, dang it. This doesn't bode well for my retirement road trip.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

The AirBnBs in our budget for a quick Colorado road trip are booked through September. I checked on rental cars just out of curiosity and what used to be $280 a week is now double that.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    In Nogales, Arizona, my favorite hotel just increased it's room rates by 30 percent!!! Next time I make a run for the border I will be staying at the next door motel - not quite as nice but now 1/2 the room rate of my favorite hotel. At least I can afford these border runs and at the moment, this is about as exotic as I am comfortable getting as far as travel. Rob

Read today that Reno may be short of jet fuel in a few days and flights may have to be canceled.

Was reminded of this thread as the neighbors just drove off pulling their new-to-them camper/trailer for their first weekend get-a-way.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am thinking about a March airplane trip, March 2022. We shall see.

The American Iris society is meeting in March in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I am strongly ambivalent about going because I went there in 2017 and it was the worst vacation I can think of other than a bad one in the 80s. On the other hand, in New Mexico I could see lots of arilbred iris, a variety that does not thrive around these parts where I live.

We drove to New Mexico on that vacation and it was awful, way too much time in the car and the landscape is depressing.. I really do not think I will attend this convention if I can’t fly there.

Anyone have experience with, or know anyone with experience with, those SUV tents? Like an attached tent for your SUV?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information