Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

In general, I'm not fond of fish, so I only add a bit for umami. That bottle should last awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Did you check to see if one of the ingredients was rotten shrimp?... check above
    I certainly hope the sirracha didn't come with rotten shrimp in it. I don't think that's usually one of the ingredients! No, my problem was having a wave of steamy spiciness get in my eyes.

Huy Fong has run afoul of their neighbors re chili fumes--but they prevailed, and they're still providing us with seedy goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I certainly hope the sirracha didn't come with rotten shrimp in it. I don't think that's usually one of the ingredients! No, my problem was having a wave of steamy spiciness get in my eyes.
    As noted earlier ... trassi or blachan (a firm paste made of rotten shrimp) is the ingredient to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    As noted earlier ... trassi or blachan (a firm paste made of rotten shrimp) is the ingredient to look for.
    I just checked. The ubiquitous green lidded bottles of Huy Fong Sirracha do not contain either.

Okay----Maybe I'll travel to some faraway place, that nobody ever goes. to be con'td.....ETA: Okay---I'm back. But yeah---if you kids would fund the trip, and look after my pets, I might make a trip to spend some time in Birobidzhan. Yup. Thing is, I wonder if I should fly West from here, or East? It might be closer to go the western route. I looked at the weather, and it's a few degrees warmer there, than here. Ha. There's no way I would consider driving, as there are no highways going there. Nope.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 12-22-22 at 9:03pm.

You said to share opinions, even those controversial, so here's mine;

I've never got on a plane in my life. You think that's crazy? Keep reading.
    I've never travelled more than 300 km, let's say 200 miles. It gets worse.
    That was more than fifty years ago. It gets even worse.
    I'm only twenty-seven years old.

I'm like the Hobbitses, I like my peace, my quiet, I don't want to see new places.

Thoreau once said: Only that traveling is good which reveals to me the value of home and enables me to enjoy it better. If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.

I only leave the village to experience alienation, distress, and when I'm driving down the road and seeing the mountains I rejoice once again.

My friends all travel, India, Switzerland, Morocco, they come to me to tell them which place to visit next, because I see many films, I search about a lot of places, I talk with people from many places, I'm curious about how they live, what they eat, what's their tradition.

I believe the greatest tragedy is not to see what's around you where you live. I see so many people passing by beauty without looking, seeing beauty it's an art. How many went to the Grand Canyon, looked, took a picture and left without seeing? They looked but didn't see, the colors, the dept, the shadows, that's a background for their picture of themselves. People lost contact with nature altogether.

I guess my point is: if you know how to see, everything is new, everything is fresh, I see new things everyday, and it’s considered I’m seeing the same things for the last ten more years.

Portuguese John, I really love that point of view of yours and I won’t try to talk you out of it! To each his own, and I respect that point of view.

I don’t ask anyone to change their life’s goals to see what I want to see in the world. I do just ask that we all respect each other’s desire for travel. Some people do not! Funny I was just talking about that this week when one of my garden club friends stopped by to drop off some stuff. She has a “10 year travel plan “that she’s had to reduce to 8 years because Covid lopped off two years of it.

If only I could clone myself that’s so that I stay home and take care of pets and gardens and at the same time travel to the long-distance places I want to see, that would be great!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-27-22 at 8:59pm.

Speaking of travel in June I went to Ireland and in April 23 and 24 I am going to Europe. These 2 trips will complete my bucket list for Europe. I still would like to see a few eastern states that I haven’t been to. I have been to most states as well as numerous national parks and 6 cruises so have been lucky to see so much.

My kids have been to many more places and I think my Dil has been to 20 countries. Considering that I didn’t start until I was 43 you have lots of time John to change your mind). Luckily I have my kids and a good friend that will move into my condo and take excellent care of my dogs.

After seeing all the Christmas travel mess, I am very glad we chose to stay home. I have never had the urge to travel all over the world like so many do. A cruise does not appeal at all. I am a bit like Port John in that I actually prefer to stay close to home and find the new where I am. An occasional road trip is good enough. And yes, plants and pets are not easy to leave behind for days on end.

Thread Information