Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No need to be snarky. You aren't acting like a HAPPY person HAPPYstuff.
    I'm quite happy, thank you. *Snarky* is how you chose to interpret.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm quite happy, thank you. *Snarky* is how you chose to interpret.
    I obviously know what the word hypothetical means, as does everyone in these forums. None of us need to look it up. You were definitely being snarky. Why can't you just be honest and admit it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I obviously know what the word hypothetical means, as does everyone in these forums. None of us need to look it up. You were definitely being snarky. Why can't you just be honest and admit it?
    Ahhh... because, again, you know everything. LOL.

Done.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

No not really. I want to go to Europe a few more times and there’s places on the East coast I want to see. Because of the pandemic I am waiting until next year to travel.

I haven't been on a plane since 1994 because they banned smoking on planes. I stopped smoking 9.5 years ago, but for whatever reason, I still haven't made it back onto a plane. DH and I got passports in 2019, so maybe we will take a bigger trip one of these days, but we're generally pretty satisfied with local travel. We might like to see the Netherlands, but it isn't a burning desire. I definitely agree with Jeppy on this benefit of local travel: "I spend less time traveling and more time enjoying my destination."

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I haven't been on a plane since 1994 because they banned smoking on planes. I stopped smoking 9.5 years ago, but for whatever reason, I still haven't made it back onto a plane. DH and I got passports in 2019, so maybe we will take a bigger trip one of these days, but we're generally pretty satisfied with local travel. We might like to see the Netherlands, but it isn't a burning desire. I definitely agree with Jeppy on this benefit of local travel: "I spend less time traveling and more time enjoying my destination."
    BUT THAT’s why I like to fly to Europe. Both bookended travel days are miserable, but it is only one day at either end of a 2-3 week visit.

Besides, I keep saying I will save the nearby stuff for when I am really old.

IL, you are right! Europe is not compatible with physical issues at all. I climbed to the top of many places 10 years ago that I probably couldn’t do 10 years from now. I have been to many places close to me. I want to see far away places while I can. People that never see Europe are really missing something wonderful. So different from the states. It’s magical to actually be there versus seeing it online.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, you are right! Europe is not compatible with physical issues at all. I climbed to the top of many places 10 years ago that I probably couldn’t do 10 years from now. I have been to many places close to me. I want to see far away places while I can. People that never see Europe are really missing something wonderful. So different from the states. It’s magical to actually be there versus seeing it online.
    I've seen Europe and it was interesting but it didn't wow me, and I think someone like Thoreau who only travelled domestically did pretty well. This author agrees:

https://matadornetwork.com/bnt/what-...-about-travel/

I don’t know where you went but the 4 places I have been are nothing like the states. I have been in the Coliseum, ancient ruins, the Cistine chapel, Salt Mines in Poland (extremely cool statues/chapels/carved out of salt and sitting in a ancient town square watching people of other cultures interact surrounded by ancient architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    In the past, my travel has pretty much always been based on costs, time and opportunity. I actually have airline tickets in hand to fly to see my mother. Since I have limited time between the current and new job, flying is the best way to see her and spend a decent amount of time on the actual visit versus travel time, and the saved UE bonus is paying for the ticket.

I actually want to travel more in the future. While I'm still working, most of those trips would be local and probably by car. However, I would still like to get to Hawaii and Alaska one of these years.

Hypothetical question - I wonder what the difference is of one hundred people on a plane flying to the same destination versus those 100 hundred people getting in their cars and driving to that destination?
    Think the Rome2rio app would answer your question!

Thread Information