Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You View Travel Differently Now?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Still too close to the pandemic to travel very far.
    I feel the same but have been collecting info on places I would like to go when possible to do so. Also want to check out ATW air ticket (around the world) and try to figure how that would work??

Just received a packet from Idaho today and have sent for "stuff" from Texas, South Dakota, Iowa and various other states. For the time being, we will stay closer to home but plan on venturing to foreign lands when we feel it is safe to do so. Life is getting shorter by the day so we need to "make hay".

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don’t know where you went but the 4 places I have been are nothing like the states. I have been in the Coliseum, ancient ruins, the Cistine chapel, Salt Mines in Poland (extremely cool statues/chapels/carved out of salt and sitting in a ancient town square watching people of other cultures interact surrounded by ancient architecture.
    There are ancient ruins in the US (Mesa Verde, Cahokia mounds, etc). I suppose if one defines ancient ruins Eurocentrically then those "don't count".

There is a Sistine Chapel in Vatican City which many world class museums in the US would outshine in terms of the size and variety of their collections, but I am not familiar with a Cistine Chapel so cannot comment on it.

You can find awesome sculptures carved out of sand in summer and ice in winter in New England, and there are salt mines in Nevada.

And if you want to watch people of various cultures interact America is a great melting pot.

I wonder how much consumerist conditioning goes into people deciding that local places are not good enough. One can tour the mines in Nevada:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/neva...-mine-tour-nv/

https://eldoradocanyonminetours.com/index.html

I have toured the Lackawanna Coal Co mine in Pennsylvania and enjoyed it.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just received a packet from Idaho today and have sent for "stuff" from Texas, South Dakota, Iowa and various other states.
    We've been in Idaho for the past couple of days and will be visiting Craters Of The Moon National Monument tomorrow. We also spent nearly 2 weeks in South Dakota during last summer's meander, lots to see and do around the Rapid City area.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There are ancient ruins in the US (Mesa Verde, Cahokia mounds, etc).
    We first visited Mesa Verde about 10 years ago and visited again 2 weeks ago. It's an amazing place, although on our first visit we were allowed inside the ancient structures, this visit we weren't.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Neat spot to visit, Alan. I would love to read a novel set in that time period that will explain the emotions, government, building layouts, stresses, etc., of the residents of that time period and why they lived there. A novel like that would read similar to the Rise and fall of the Roman Empire. There is so much history waiting to be explored in the people of the Americas of long ago.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We've been in Idaho for the past couple of days and will be visiting Craters Of The Moon National Monument tomorrow. We also spent nearly 2 weeks in South Dakota during last summer's meander, lots to see and do around the Rapid City area.

We first visited Mesa Verde about 10 years ago and visited again 2 weeks ago. It's an amazing place, although on our first visit we were allowed inside the ancient structures, this visit we weren't.

Interesting.....I almost waited tables there for a Season in the early 2000's and then turned around and worked at Lake Powell, Bullfrog Marina, instead. I've always wanted to check it out and from what you are posting, it's worth the time and effort to get there.....and hey it can be done realistically for me without a plane given that I live in a state that technically borders Colorado at the Four Corners. Win/Win! Rob

Looks as though you are having a wonderful trip, Alan! Hope it continues!

Alan and mrs Alan: nice photos! The cliff dwellings are so interesting.

jeppy, I live close by to Cahokia mounds. I can’t say that they are especially interesting they are just big hills. You have to go through the Interpretive Center to understand the Cahokia civilization and what the hills mean.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-3-21 at 10:21am.

We live a few miles from Garden of the Gods which is a spectacular place to check out. So crowded with tourists though that we no longer go. Thinking about visiting the Black Hills area in the fall.

Thanks for sharing the pics, Alan. Nice that you were able to go in on a prior visit now that they don't allow it. Continued safe and fun travels to you both.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

and sitting in a ancient town square watching people of other cultures interact surrounded by ancient architecture.
    my fondest wish is just that those things continue to be there, regardless of whether I can see it, but the intertubes, yea I have the intertubes to see it now, *shrug*. Well the architecture might be there no matter what short of bombing, but my wish is that people can still live there, aren't made climate refugees etc.. That ancient human habitations continue to be habitable to humans. That botanical gardens continue to be, and things that simply won't be in all likelihood: redwoods, northwest forests etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information