Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major disorder

Major disorder

Greetings all,

First post here. Happy to find this forum.

I am struggling with organization and clutter in general and I had a question about labeling a number of Helmer Drawers (Ikea product).

In my home office I has twelve Helmer draws and on my back wall I have 36 Helmer drawers. I really like the Helmer Drawers but I have so many of them I can't seem to find things because of a lack of labeling the drawers and possibly having an excessive amount of them.

I think about alphabetizing the drawers and I have thought about numbering the drawers. 1-12 and 1-36.

I thought a would them made a searchable PDF with each numbered drawer and the general contents of the the drawer. Eg. No. 23-has office products, etc.

Does this make sense or is there a better way of organizing the drawers?

Thank you for any input.

Smorton

Hello and welcome!

That's a lot of drawers!!! I looked up the drawers online and, personally, I would keep it simple and label the contents. i.e. bills, pens/pencils/paper, forms, etc. Whatever the specific items are in the drawer, just label the drawer to reflect what is inside.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This is an interesting question and it certainly points out the problem with drawers. On the one hand, they are so neat and tidy to have everything locked behind a drawer. On the other hand, you can’t see what’s in them.

I don’t have an answer because I don’t have any drawer units myself that go more than four drawers.But in one closet in my condo I will be probably using baskets to hold things on the shelves so I will have to probably label those baskets?Now you got me thinking about that problem.

I would sort like items and see how many categories I have. Just because you have all those drawers, doesn't mean you have to use them all. Then label as Happystuff mentioned. Make it easy on yourself. When you are looking for a pen, do you really want to pull up a spreadsheet?

Thank you your thoughtful responses.

My take a ways-
    keep it simple;
    find categories,
    Put like with like;
    Label.

Thanks again.

SM

And after a while you will have memorized your system and won't need the labels, so you could even use ones that can be easily pulled off.

I wonder if I have too many Helmers for one room. There are so many makes me dizzy.

Thanks

SM

I suppose there are the clear plastic drawers. Nope they are nothing fancy and plastic ugh, and I'm not saying you need all new drawers, but I have a bunch I got from the thrift, that I will keep as long as they are useful (they are) and donate back if they aren't. I also have clear plastic boxes.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I came up with an idea that may work.

I currently have a set of 12 drawers of Helmers to the left of my office desk and 36 behind the desk on a well.

I think I need to split these into units of 12. Categorize these. Looking at 36 drawers makes is too overwhelming.

I will use plastic drawer drivers inside the Helmers and label these

I use plastic totes for storage in other areas. I like the clean ones so you can see what is inside in addition to the Label.

Thanks.

SM

I'd be tempted to use simple graphics along with the labels, and group like objects together in clusters of drawers.

Thread Information