Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireworks question

Fireworks question

It has puzzled me since we moved here that people shoot off fireworks for at least a week before and a week after the 4th even though illegal. Happens with New Years too. It is torture for veterans with PTSD and of course dogs and other animals to have two weeks of fireworks every night. I guess the city doesn't have the resources or the will to curtail them. Does that happen where you live? It didn't in our previous city.

They are illegal in my County.

They go on for a week or so anyways.

Very few resources for enforcement. I've gone to a bunch of investigation calls for the Fire Marshal, and basically all I can do is ask nicely, because the odds of either the Sheriff or the Fire Marshal being able to arrive in a reasonable amount of time is about 0. And I have not been authorized to simply beat the offender with an ax handle, which would be the prudent response, given how terribly high our fire danger is right now.

Stupid paperwork...

When we lived in the city they were a nightly nuisance for at least a week surrounding July 4th. Now that we oive in suburbia we get like one or two each night. As someone who used to shoot off lots of fireworks it seems so odd that people just shoot off one at 3am. But they do.

I am just going to randomly play my tuba all night long.

I can't think of any way to drown out the noise and I don't own a tuba. It's like bombs and cannons going off for hours now. My cats are under the bed hiding.

When we had our nervous dog, we put her in her crate (in our bedroom) with the fan on the loudest setting and a white noise machine going full blast. She wanted to be out with us but couldn't tolerate the booms. She didn't like thunder, either. Or something heavy dropped on the floor (unless it was food). Or cars backfiring. She really was an anxious soul.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Last year it went on for months as people were bored due to covid restrictions. This year there is a lot less.

I support legalization of fireworks in my state but a bill to do that failed a few years ago. The state legislator saw it as a way to capture sales tax revenue on purchases currently made in New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Last year it went on for months as people were bored due to covid restrictions. This year there is a lot less.

I support legalization of fireworks in my state but a bill to do that failed a few years ago. The state legislator saw it as a way to capture sales tax revenue on purchases currently made in New Hampshire.
    They are a fire hazard and most years a serious fireworks fire here in my city takes down an innocent old Victorian house. But laws against fireworks do nothing to curb them.

As for the people who blow off their fingers, I dont care about them, it is the old Victorians that need protection from the eejits.

Ours were about as expected last night. Some shot off earlier in the day, most followed at dusk and then calm and quiet. Don't know if there will be more tonight or not, but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Fireworks are illegal here in the city, and we were quiet until nine o'clock last night when the neighborhood scofflaws let loose with two hours of shelling and assorted mayhem, as is usual for them (and no one else at this point) on the Fourth. Entitled twits. But they didn't set anything on fire, and with luck the local wildlife will recover.

Thread Information