Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 6 - Aug. 30

40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 6 - Aug. 30

Hi All,

I'm a teacher who is on a reduced schedule for about four months a year, mid-December through mid-February and mid-June through mid-August. I also have a REALLY cluttered home. In the past, I've had some success with setting myself a goal of doing a certain number of hours of decluttering during my periods of reduced work. I set one overall goal (usually 40 hours), then chip away at it in smaller increments of time. Some days I aim for an hour; others for four hours (with breaks!). I basically use flylady's timer method described here, but with longer periods of time than 15 minutes:

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-sta...ng-15-minutes/

This past winter, I stumbled a bit and didn't finish that 40 hours until last week. So I am just now starting this summer's 40 hours.

Though clutter is still an issue, over the years of focusing on decluttering, I've also discovered I need to spend time on making my home comfortable and pleasant which involves putting in time on things like repotting plants into pretty containers, picking out a nice bureau scarf and a "jewelry tree" to make the bureau in my bedroom pretty, and finding a nice tray for the containers of salt, pepper, and olive oil by my stove. I've learned that decluttering is not all it takes for me to finally enjoy my living spaces - figuring out what's pleasing aesthetically to me is super-important too - and really fun.

In any case, since I started these batches of 40 hours of decluttering in winter of 2017, I've made a lot of progress. My home isn't perfect, but it is MUCH less cluttered and MUCH more comfortable to me than it was four years ago. And recording my progress here has really helped.

I know for some people setting up a home is kind of second nature, but I've always struggled with it and always lived in cluttered, uncomfortable spaces, so these batches of 40 hours have been a real breakthrough for me.

I started this batch of 40 hours just with one hour last Friday. And then yesterday, my daughter and I spent 30 minutes going through two of her dresser drawers and making a pile of stuff to give away. Total so far: 1.5.

In any case, thanks for "listening" and for the encouragement so many of you have given me over the years.

And, as always, if anybody else wants to join in with a decluttering/homemaking goal of their own for a certain number of hours, that would be great!

It is interesting OP that the 40 hour chunks work for you. It would not be a method that works for me.

I constantly think about nice surroundings, a place for things, culling things that don’t serve me, so it runs as an undercurrent in my thoughts.

I am also like IL. It’s important to find what works for you personally.

Yes, these chunks of 40 hours work really well for me.

I WISH I was constantly thinking about how to cull and how to make my surroundings nice. I'm not. But I do think setting aside these hours to focus on that has made me a little bit more aware of how necessary it is to cull and to find a place for everything.

When I was raising my kids I wasn’t thinking about decluttering either. I did give away all the outgrown toys and clothes. Moving was the only thing that made me get rid of stuff. After my kids were grown I started with major decluttering because I had the time.

I did 3 more hours yesterday - some on my own, and some with my daughter. We went through her sock and underwear drawers and her closet. We threw out a lot of too-small underwear and socks with holes, and I now have two big Hefty bags of clothes from the two of us to go to Goodwill.

New total: 4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When I was raising my kids I wasn’t thinking about decluttering either. I did give away all the outgrown toys and clothes. Moving was the only thing that made me get rid of stuff. After my kids were grown I started with major decluttering because I had the time.
    Yes, I can't manage much decluttering during the school year when I am teaching and my daughter is in school. But I really love focusing on it in the summers and winters when I have more time.

We also have a Facebook Moms group in our neighborhood which is great for handing down old clothes and toys. It's so much easier to give stuff away when I know it will be re-used.

I was a social worker so gave all my kids clothes to clients and the toys to foster homes because the kids were hard on toys.

ejchase, congrats on your 4.5 hours! Great start for summer!

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    ejchase, congrats on your 4.5 hours! Great start for summer!
    Thanks, mschrisgo2!

I did just an hour more today - cleaning out the car and taking it to the car wash and then returning a bunch of clothes I'd bought online.

New total: 5.5.

Thread Information