Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - July 6 - Aug. 30

Ej, thank you for sharing you insight from your experiences. To figure out what is holding you back is monumental! Bravo in making the connection then sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Ej, thank you for sharing you insight from your experiences. To figure out what is holding you back is monumental! Bravo in making the connection then sharing it with us.
    Thanks, nswef. That means a lot.

I did another hour on Wednesday clearing spaces for the handyman who was supposed to come put some furniture together for us, but he had to postpone.

He's coming today, so hopefully I can get some more cleaning and decluttering in again.

New total: 30.5.

4 hours today! New total: 34.5.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I am not one for counting hours.
    I don't track total hours either. I tried it once for a few weeks and found it depressing because one week I did far fewer hours than I "should" have and another week I got bogged down in difficult boxes and worked a lot of hours with very little visual progress.

Now I just use the timer as a minimum standard. I set it for 20 minutes and work until it dings. If I'm feeling ok, I keep working for as long as I want to. But if I'm tired or struggling to make progress, the timer gives me permission to quit. The only requirement is that I have to at least try to make progress for 20 minutes.

I do the same thing in reverse too. I tend to get on the internet and fall down a rabbit hole for several hours, so I set a timer for 1 hour when I first log on. When it dings I continue what I'm doing, but I have to stop as soon as I reach a point where I can type a quick "start here" note and resume what I was doing later. I call that my "bathroom break" timer, because anything I would stop doing long enough to go pee is something I should stop doing after an hour and go back to later.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-12-21 at 2:36pm. Reason: typo

I another hour today. New total: 35.5.

Ejchase, you’re getting close to your goal! Congrats!

Thanks, mschrisgo2, yes I seem to be getting there!

Happystuff and GeorgeParker, I think we all are figuring out what works for each of us, and this method has really worked for me. I've had major clutter issues for years, and committing to declutter for 40 hours each summer and winter when I'm on a reduced work schedule has been completely transformative for me. It's allowed me to say, "Okay, I have this big problem, and I'm going to devote 40 hours to it this summer and then get on with the rest of my life." In that sense, it has given me an "enough amount," a point at which I say I have made enough effort on addressing that problem for the time being and can feel a sense of accomplishment.

I have a "no shame, no blame" philosophy about it. I am often, as I am now, finishing up my 40 hours past my initial deadline. Sometimes I go weeks without doing anything at all. But having the structure of the 40-hour goal overall has really worked.

Some of you know over the last 6 years (!!! - yes, it's been that long!) since I started doing this, one big "hotspot" has been the upstairs hallway where there were, in 2015, roughly 40 unpacked tattered cardboard boxes from when we moved in in 2011. I had a baby the month after we moved in and just left the boxes there for years. But through these batches of 40 hours, I've been chipping away at them. This summer, some of you may remember, I got the 40 down to just 4. Then other summer decluttering projects took over - like moving my daughter into a bigger bedroom and finding a way to organize my work-from-home space so that the dining room table can be easily cleared every night.

But because my new priority is making the house tidy and presentable, rather than worrying about pulling out every stash of clutter everywhere, I ordered two collapsible fabric boxes from the Container Store and put the clutter from the remaining four boxes in them for now (see picture below). Maybe I will get through that final bit of clutter up there in my next 40 hours. But for the first time in ten years, there are no cardboard boxes in the upstairs hallway! It felt good also to feel like I could buy some boxes that are nice to look at, a way of saying I don't have to constantly punish myself for having these issues.

When I finished tidying the hallway, it was a little anticlimactic. Some of the furniture up there is pretty ugly, and I don't yet have what's there arranged quite right yet. I need to frame some new pictures, find some other ways to "spark joy" in that space.

But now, every time I walk through the hallway, I get a little lift. For ten years, I've been so embarassed and ashamed when people saw that hallway and so overwhelmed every time I looked at it, and now it's completely presentable. That is a huge emotional milestone for me, and I couldn't have done it without all the support from all of you here, so thank you.

Many times over these years, I've thought, "Am I really getting anywhere? Am I just moving clutter around without ever really making progress?" But now that the upstairs hallway is tidy, and other rooms in the house are much less cluttered, I can see that I have definitely reduced the amount of stuff we have in our house and have designated places for things I didn't have places for before and systems set up for dealing with items I didn't have before.

There is more to do, but I wanted to share this happy moment with all of you.IMG_0005.jpg

I think it is fabulous that you have found what works for you, ejchase! And that you are sticking with it. While your method wouldn't work for me at this point in time, the fact that you are sharing your progress and efforts is VERY motivating for me - and I, again, thank you for that!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Ejchase, Huge Congratulations on your tidy hallway!
    and I love the fabric boxes, perfectly opposite of cardboard boxes. Enjoy!

Thread Information