Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books, recources, YouTube channels, etc to learn how to declutter

Books, recources, YouTube channels, etc to learn how to declutter

Greetings,

I watched a show on Netflixs called "Hoarders" or something like that and will I have not reached that level it make me aware of how cluttered by life is. I have always depended on support staff to keep me organized.

Now I don't have support staff due to Covid and other things. This has brought to my attention how clutter is costly and is a bit toxic.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend resources for a beginner who wants to get rid of the clutter and get organized.

Thank you in advance for any input.

SM

There are different threads on this site which suggest taking one step, room, closet etc and clearing it into piles of 'keep, discard, donate'. Mostly it is a mental commitment that is needed to start and follow through. One can watch all the shows, videos, read but it is the mental step that is the foundation of any process.

Just as one would take control of one's finances to get out of debt, mentally be very, very clear on your reasons for decluttering, prioritize those, set a time limit to achieve one of the priorities, complete and start again on the next step.

Some on SLF use the FlyLady method and set a number of hours a day, a week or a month and do those hours without fail. Give yourself a challenge to complete one activity by month's end.

You are in charge of your thinking and actions. Wishing you well!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

https://www.becomingminimalist.com

I like this site for inspiration and tips. There are a ton of books out there, but so far I haven't found a magic bullet that works for everyone.

Good list of resources here. I've read at least 3 of them. The author of one of them, Francine Jay of The Joy of Less, used to post here regularly

https://www.ourhomesweethome.org/bes...ttering-books/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I set myself a goal to throw out X number of things in a given period of time (used to be a year, now it is a month). For me a timer doesn't work as well because I could spend an hour shifting things from one pile to another pile.

I liked the books Downsizing the Family Home and the Marie Kondo book. The problem is what works for one person doesn’t work for another. Even when I worked full time I would declutter for big chunks of time and get a lot done.

I'd also recommend flylady.net

Quote Originally Posted by Smorton View Post
    Greetings,

I have always depended on support staff to keep me organized.

Now I don't have support staff due to Covid and other things.
    SM
    What other things?
    I understand not having support staff, physically there because of covid, however, do you have virtual access to them? Could you seek their advice on what they do for you, that has worked for you and learn from them?

If your motivated, all you need to do is start. Books, video's, etc, can give how to's and be inspiring, but can backfire and make you think a project is insurmountable. Efforts from starting, accumulate.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What other things?
    I understand not having support staff, physically there because of covid, however, do you have virtual access to them? Could you seek their advice on what they do for you, that has worked for you and learn from them?

If your motivated, all you need to do is start. Books, video's, etc, can give how to's and be inspiring, but can backfire and make you think a project is insurmountable. Efforts from starting, accumulate.
    I don't have access to them (support staff). I think the recommendations here have been very good and I think I need to get to work!!

Thank you.

SM

As someone who is sentimental over most things, I found the Kondo method easiest for me. Thanking my things before sending them on helped me with that. Having all things from one category together to see the amount of stuff I had was eye opening. Her method is keeping what you love and discarding the rest, as opposed to getting rid of what you don't like or use.

YouTube is loaded with people doing the KonMari method with great before and afters.

As far as having support, in my case just seeing the difference encouraged me to do more. I love keeping track of things so I had lists of what left. My books were reduced by more than half I think and seeing an actual list of what stayed and what left kept me on track. Take photos before, during and after to see how much you have accomplished. After emptying a closet, maybe paint it a different color or add a nice rug or matching hangers; something to make it more special.

Lovely and clever suggestions, Pony mom.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information