Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pre-diabetes?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I questioned the doc about it but she said all my other readings were normal and its probably just a blip. Told me to avoid sweets and drink more water. I guess she sees a lean, healthy-looking older person with no family history and comes to the conclusion that its not an issue.
    Interestingly, I just had my first physical in 6 years. All is fine. But I brought up to her that my fitness watch is telling me that I have extremely low HRV, and that there is literature saying that there is a correlation between low HRV and risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. I asked if I could get a referral to a cardiologist for a cardiac workup, and she declined it. What annoyed me was I have spent a LOT of money paying into insurance premiums and have gotten back very, very little in services. It's not like I'm a drain on the healthcare system. But she said unless I have cardiac symptoms, she would not refer me. She didn't know what HRV was, which is OK, understandable. An Apple Watch is not a diagnostic tool, and HRV is used mostly by fitness programs, not medical programs. But she tried to make stuff up about it--stuff that I had to correct her on.

So pinkytoe, I felt just like you. I think she doesn't consider me to be "worthy" of healthcare because I'm "too healthy." But hearts are sneaky things. They don't often send you a message telling you they're going to take you down.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You all could always pay for your own diagnostic tests you know.

No one is denying you healthcare. Just sayin’.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Yeah, but the gatekeeper is still the PCP. Unless you have fancy-schmancy concierge service like someone I know

But to your point, DH told me to insist I get a cardiologist or I'll switch doctors.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Considering the high cost of HI most of us pay no one wants to pay for a diagnostic test. If I lived in Poland where HI is free and you could choose what to pay for cheaply then it’s no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I was thinking that very thing. There are private labs where I understand you can order whatever test you want.

Also, with people self-monitoring their every obscure physiological function, don't we run the risk of becoming a nation of worried well hypochondriacs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I was thinking that very thing. There are private labs where I understand you can order whatever test you want.

Also, with people self-monitoring their every obscure physiological function, don't we run the risk of becoming a nation of worried well hypochondriacs?
    If I have paid thousands upon thousands of insurance premiums without submitting one claim, do you think I'm going to willingly pay out of pocket for a test that is a legitimate ask?

As for the self-monitoring/hypochondriac issue, maybe that's a hazard for some, but I know I'm not a hypochondriac. If you "monitor" yourself when you walk outside in January and you're cold, you tell yourself you should put on a coat. If you learn from a monitoring device that a validated score puts you in the bottom decile of people your age, are you being a hypochondriac to inquire about it, or are you smart to simply get more information from an HCP?

I really don't think an A1C is an obscure test one should have to order from a private lab. That seems bonkers. As for the PCP gatekeeper, unless I had no option, I don't do HMOs., precisely because I can't see relying on one gatekeeper. There is just if the insurance pays of course. Which is a random @#$#shoot with any procedure. Will they pay for basic recommended screenings, they should, but ultimately who knows. I mean I've gotten a notice ("not a bill") from my insurance I have to pay for my COVID VACCINE, which is supposed to be free by law. Now I am most likely to never get billed by the provider for this. But the insurance apparently thinks I will owe on my covid vaccine ...
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

"I really don't think an A1C is an obscure test one should have to order from a private lab."

Agreed. In fact, I think everyone should be routinely screened for HBA1C as part of a complete workup. But I also think our medical system is flawed almost beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, but the gatekeeper is still the PCP. Unless you have fancy-schmancy concierge service like someone I know

But to your point, DH told me to insist I get a cardiologist or I'll switch doctors.
    Mine isnt conceirage, it is termed Direct Patient Care service” and it costs less than $1,000 annually.

Three things:

thing 1:
    My doctor wouldn't order a test outside of her office if it wasn't indicated. Any cardiologist visit has nothing to do with any $ I pay to her as far as it being already covered by my fee to her. All tests outside of her office are charged to me and to my insurance. And really, what tests can doctors do in their office these days? Very few.

Thing 2: yeah, I thought that finding another doctor would be another option although there’s probably not a lot of them up there in isle snow-land.

thing 3: I would bet money right now that I will be dead, cold, and long in the ground by the time you two, , pinky toe and Catherine, are toddling around with old age heart conditions. I am fat and have all the indicators. That is why I know if I went into my doctor and clutched my heart she would look concerned and immediately pull out the whatever equipment she has in her office and then send me to whomever for whatever.

Covid slowed down a lot of the testing she wanted to do. I’m just not into it.

Catherine, honestly— I can hardly wait until socialized medicine covers us all. If you think that you will be able to beat whatever national government standard exists for a test because you “want it” well, you won’t. But you know that.

I can only hope that God grants us the NHS style of healthcare service like in the UK where we can still go off and get private service if we wish.

But I have often said here that NHS style health service would probably be fine for me since I’m a low level consumer of healthcare services. I don’t require advanced stuff. I don’t care about it.

Thread Information