Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pre-diabetes?

Thing 1: I'm just looking for a consultation with someone who knows something about the correlation between HRV and cardiac disease. Why is this score so low? Why am I in the lowest decile among all my peers? It's aggravating.

Thing 2: haha, yeah, you're right, but Burlington actually has a very good medical center. Plenty of cardiologists there.

Thing 3: My DH always taunts me with, "well, we all know you'll live forever" while he thinks he's counting down the days to his demise because of decades of abuse to his body. But as I keep telling him, only God/Universe/The Fates know when our time will come. My aunt-in-law was healthy as can be, caring for her invalid husband who was paralyzed in a car accident, and she said she didn't feel that well on a Saturday, and she waited until Monday to see a doctor, and she had a fatal event RUNNING to the door of the doctor's office on Monday, leaving her pocketbook in the car, so she knew she was done. 66 years old. We have no idea. I think it's entirely feasible that you will be sitting overlooking your beautiful fields of iris in Hermann raising a glass of red many, many years from now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thing 1: I'm just looking for a consultation with someone who knows something about the correlation between HRV and cardiac disease. Why is this score so low? Why am I in the lowest decile among all my peers? It's aggravating.

Thing 2: haha, yeah, you're right, but Burlington actually has a very good medical center. Plenty of cardiologists there.

Thing 3: My DH always taunts me with, "well, we all know you'll live forever" while he thinks he's counting down the days to his demise because of decades of abuse to his body. But as I keep telling him, only God/Universe/The Fates know when our time will come. My aunt-in-law was healthy as can be, caring for her invalid husband who was paralyzed in a car accident, and she said she didn't feel that well on a Saturday, and she waited until Monday to see a doctor, and she had a fatal event RUNNING to the door of the doctor's office on Monday, leaving her pocketbook in the car, so she knew she was done. 66 years old. We have no idea. I think it's entirely feasible that you will be sitting overlooking your beautiful fields of iris in Hermann raising a glass of red many, many years from now.
    dude! Someone has to be in the lowest decile! It’s a standard. Why you so special?

haha just kidding, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    dude! Someone has to be in the lowest decile! Its a standard. Why you so special?

haha just kidding, sort of.
    Im a first born overachiever. If I never accepted a C in school I certainly wont accept being in the bottom decile of anything! Also just kidding, sort of.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've finally accepted that I'm not immortal. I don't like it, but I'll go along with it.

My medical philosophy is in line with Dr. Nortin Hadler: "In The Last Well Person Dr Nortin Hadler argues that unfounded assertions, massaged data, and flagrant marketing have led to the medicalization of everyday life. He systematically builds the case that constant medical monitoring and unnecessary intervention are hazards to our health, severely reducing our quality of life...."

I am by nature a skeptic of most things medical and/or pharmaceutical. I continue to get reminders that I haven't had all my old people preventive tests (colonoscopy, boobygram etc or my flu and shingles shots. Not going to. But the blood sugar thing scares me a bit since being hungry an hour after eating is not normal for me. I am learning that getting older has interesting twists and turns though.

I have been getting hungry an hour after eating too. I need to stop eating all the unhealthy free food at work. Some of it is also eating out of boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I've finally accepted that I'm not immortal. I don't like it, but I'll go along with it.

My medical philosophy is in line with Dr. Nortin Hadler: "In The Last Well Person Dr Nortin Hadler argues that unfounded assertions, massaged data, and flagrant marketing have led to the medicalization of everyday life. He systematically builds the case that constant medical monitoring and unnecessary intervention are hazards to our health, severely reducing our quality of life...."

A friend of mine my age joined the DNA analysis group 23 and Me for the medical information. I think all of that is suspect. I mean, what genetic problems would I find out about find out about in that kind of analysis that I don’t already know in my parental and grandparent generations? My friend is not adopted so he knows his parents.I think it’s a big scam.

He also was the first of our group to get a hearing aid. I played with it and perhaps it helped me, not sure. I don’t know couldn’t really tell. I have some hearing loss, have not been tested. And our latest Zoom calls he talked about gout and so we exchanged stories about gout but he’s getting medication for it. He relayed all the horrors of gout Why I should get medication. But I won’t.

At this point I think I should probably call him with any malady I have to see if he’s had it and what his take is on it.

I joined 23 and Me for the sole purpose of finding Scottish relatives. That hasn’t happened and at this point I’m giving up on that the Scots and turning to my German side.

But back to using 23 and Me for any kind of serious health identification. How can that be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am by nature a skeptic of most things medical and/or pharmaceutical. I continue to get reminders that I haven't had all my old people preventive tests (colonoscopy, boobygram etc or my flu and shingles shots. Not going to. But the blood sugar thing scares me a bit since being hungry an hour after eating is not normal for me. I am learning that getting older has interesting twists and turns though.
    Before Covid, I trotted my chubby little self into the pharmacy to get a shingles shot because shingles scares me. By that time I was visiting a physician after more than a dozen years of not doing so and of course she gave me the lecture about shingles! But even if I hadn’t been going to the doctor I still would’ve gotten the shingles shots and insurance did not pay for it but I didnt care.

23 and me might be useful for BRCA gene (yes you would mostly know from relatives, but something like Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry is enough of a reason to wonder), for Alzheimer's APO genes etc..

Is it the best genetic testing in the world? Probably not. It's relatively affordable is all.

I wish I knew who my dad's dad actually was (THE BIG MYSTERY), but ancestry much beyond that I don't think I care about much, it's the lives of poor nobodies with little record.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I got the shingles shot (both doses) after being in bed with shingle on my 49th birthday. It was a bad case that affected the strength of my left leg. I had to have 10 sessions of PT. I couldn't left my left leg to get it into the car. I had to grab it with both hands to bring it into the car.

Get the shingles shot. There's no reason not to. A lady at church had it on her face and she came close to losing an eye.

Thread Information