Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

Yppej

July Frugals

Got prices from the dealer on the first service on the car and as I get closer to that time I will do some comparison shopping. Accessed the cabin filter for the first time ever and will replace that myself if it is needed. Watched a video on changing the engine filter and will check that also when it stops raining.

Thought about getting new bathroom light fixtures but DS is very attached to the ones we have so I think I will hold off for now. I am doing enough other things to disrupt his life.

I know when I bought a new car all services had to be performed by a dealer to keep the warranty intact. You might want to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I know when I bought a new car all services had to be performed by a dealer to keep the warranty intact. You might want to check that.
    Thanks for the laugh.....

magnuson moss act

Yppej
    No way will I pay $48 to have someone put in a filter when I can do it myself and it has no impact on how the car runs, only how fresh the cabin smells and how good the gas mileage is. I will keep the receipt.

Yppej
    I checked and the other place charges more for the oil change but less for the tire rotation. Overall it is cheaper at the dealer so I booked that online. They had a first free service I selected although I was told they weren't doing that anymore. I will try to talk them into it when I go in.

Yppej
    I have been told over the years my electric should be upgraded and was prepared to bite the bullet if it was recommended yesterday, but it was not. Another company quoted me $1400.00 for this a few years back, so this is a significant savings.

Y, good news about the electrical! TMS, I didn’t know about the act but wouldn’t want to get into a pissing match about the warranty so probably would get the work done at the dealer until the warranty was up just to be safe. Unless I get into a accident my 2008 Toyota Corolla with 61k miles should keep me moving for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    TMS, I didn’t know about the act but wouldn’t want to get into a pissing match about the warranty so probably would get the work done at the dealer until the warranty was up just to be safe. Unless I get into a accident my 2008 Toyota Corolla with 61k miles should keep me moving for decades.
    This is a video that you might watch. The president signed an order, telling the FTC to come up with the rules on right to repair (which has been the default for years), and covers specifically the forementioned act, which was made, SPECIFICALLY due to automotive companies.

Yppej
    I am working on disputes.

1) After telling me my preventive dental visit would be covered my dental insurer said I had to pay $51 and some change. I appealed and they denied me. I have now asked my HR Department if they can help since I get the insurance through work.

2) Was made to pay for my first oil change at the dealership and other dealers offer this free. Trying to get a refund from a sales executive.

Yppej
    HR will try on dispute #1, no response on dispute #2. If/when I buy another car in the future elsewhere I will remind them that their choice cost them a sale.

I missed my annual goal of staying on budget 8 or more months out of the year due to replacing the ceiling that was coming down, but I am OK with that. I set it as one of my resolutions for next year, which I start mulling over around the midpoint of the previous year.

Thread Information