Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July Frugals

Yppej
    HR accepted the denial. I will now try to dispute the service 4 years ago that they are basing the denial of the current service on. I didn't receive any comprehensive exam then, but I first got dental insurance then and the provider decided to bill anything and everything they could.

Stepped on a nail Monday and it hurt a lot. I put triple antibiotic cream on it and each day it has felt a little better and I am limping less. No I did not waste a bunch of money going to the doctor because I am current with my tetanus vaccine and I believe in vaccines and their efficacy.

Yppej
    Since I blew through my July budget anyways I got a pedicure (not frugal). The salon is inside Walmart and I went shopping after but all I got was a nail file (frugal). A lot of what I wanted they did not have. It's clear that if even the leader in managing supply chains can't get things there are still serious issues in the economy.

Yppej
    No response from the dental insurer. Looks like I am at a dead end.

Got a bunch old tablecloths from my folks to use as floor covering when I paint.

Yppej
    Decided to try one more thing with the dental, writing to their headquarters fraud department instead of customer service.

Finally heard back from the online contact lens company and they wouldn't come down on the price but said they expect to have a sale next week so I will look for that.

Transferred money from checking where I tend to think of it as available to savings to keep my spending reasonable as I get caught up on a backlog of home maintenance projects, important as furniture was tempting me since sales tax holiday is coming up soon.

My mattress is uncomfortable as both sides are worn down so I am sleeping in the middle of it now which works out fine. I would also like to get matching living room furniture to replace the mishmash from things people gave me or I found by the curb but I'm sure there will be another tax holiday next year. Other things are more of a priority now, and it does take me time to select pieces since I want to sit on the furniture and make sure it is comfortable, not buy online. I also like pieces already assembled.

Here, furniture wouldn't qualify in the tax holiday thing, it is just school stuff.

Yppej
    Here it is any single item of $2500 or less, cars excluded, but only for personal not business use.

The main frugal is leaving DC for husband's rural hometown for the summer. We decided to take advantage of mandatory telework. Nearest grocery store is 40+ miles away. We grocery shop every two weeks and have to list carefully and double check what we have here since it's a two week wait if we forget something. Bit of a change of having a grocery store two blocks away from our apartment.

One advantage is we can get vegetables cheap from local farmers, been carrying a bag during my daily walks and grab something that looks good and add it to the dinner plans.

Major win is $12/bottle gluten free vodka at Costco. I make vanilla extract for baking and gifts and one 750/ml bottle is about a year's worth for both pre pandemic. I usually spend $25/bottle at the ABC store at home, buying two bottles here is like getting one free. Tempted to buy more before we leave, have to check to see how much room we'll have in the car.

Hana: That sounds nice, both getting out of the city for the summer and the bargain vodka!

Yppej
    The ceiling bumped my monthly spending up to its second highest ever (and that's without the electrician's bill which I still haven't received). The highest was when I bought my car earlier this year.

I have now addressed the imminent safety issues in the house with the exception of the restoration of power to my son's room, which he did not cooperate with. The electricians came early in the morning and they assumed he was in a sound sleep. They said the owner would send a bill in the mail, or maybe wait until after they came back when he was awake. I left the owner a voice mail the next day that I don't know when he will be ready and please send me a bill for the services rendered, but it's been a few weeks and I still haven't gotten one. I think they cannot imagine that someone would want to live with a power cord running up the stairs to his room.

Then DS said the electricians stole important papers of his so I will go with a different company as I don't know for sure if this is so. And I hope the first company doesn't drive by and see a different company there and think I didn't call them back because I didn't want to pay the bill.

Anyways I still need to do the furnace cleaning and a few other necessary but not urgent things but they should not be as expensive. Getting my cabinets fixed up would be but I likely will wait until next year on that. Home repairs are disruptive and stressful for me as well as DS and I don't do them lightly (though he may think otherwise).

hana: Sounds like you are having a great summer. And that's a great find on the vodka - congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information