Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frugal Vs Easy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I tend to debate frugal versus easy more in terms of services than goods.
    I do, too. My frugal v easy has to do with eating convenience food--and I don't necessarily mean fast food, but it's more about answering the question: "how do I get my dinner in the most efficient way possible"--a question I ask myself mostly when I have busy work days. DH makes a lot of dinners, so he saves us money by providing that "service" but otherwise, pizza or other take-out, especially ethnic take-out, is an easy out too good to resist, despite the extra charge.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am rarely able to over-ride my frugality as every purchase or service is questioned for value vs money spent. I am just hardwired that way. However, today I pushed the easy button and bought appetizers, snacks and beverages for my book club. I just didn't have the oomph to put everything together from scratch. Iced tea with mint from the garden is my only frugal choice for this occasion. Spent $18 for TJ stuff I normally wouldn't buy.

I've been buying small boxes of laundry sheets that dissolve in the water. May not be financially frugal, but they come in a cardboard box and take up very little space. I do have to order them, though.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I opt for easy. I have never gone to BJ's/Costco type places where you buy stuff in bulk. Although I have room for it, that has never interest me. I prefer to only buy what we need when we need it although I do keep "spares" of high use items like shampoo and TP on hand in case we run out before I do my weekly grocery trip.

Now I have to use the laundry room so I put detergent from my large container into a small one so I am only carrying that around. I like to have extras of paper products but have never been a fan of the wares stores. For easy I am having delivery to my door of my sparkling water and dog food because itís all heavy.

For us the large bottle of laundry soap actually IS the easy option. We live it sitting on top of our front loader machine and when we do a load of laundry we just pull it forward a couple of inches and squirt a dab of soap into the dispenser. In our old apartment that would have taken a bit of aim since the dryer sat on top of the washer, so we instead did as others have suggested and transferred detergent from the giant bottle into a small one that we used over and over again.

I have started making my own--so I store the ingredients (washing soda, Borax and soap) in a canvas bag which I hang in the closet and I make the mixture as needed. I store it in a Chinese take-out container and I use a small medication cup (smaller than the NyQuil one) to measure it out. It lasts a long time, and it's cheap as hell, and I thank Tybee and all of the others who educated me on how to make it.

It's not easy in that I have to make it now and then but it's easy in that I probably won't have to shop for more of the ingredients for a year, or lug big heavy bottles around or look for the cheapest price for the big heavy bottles.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have started making my own--so I store the ingredients (washing soda, Borax and soap) in a canvas bag which I hang in the closet and I make the mixture as needed. I store it in a Chinese take-out container and I use a small medication cup (smaller than the NyQuil one) to measure it out. It lasts a long time, and it's cheap as hell, and I thank Tybee and all of the others who educated me on how to make it.
    That's exactly what I use! LOL. With directions for amount to use written on the top in sharpie.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I prefer to think of it as being frugal with my time rather than my money in such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I prefer to think of it as being frugal with my time rather than my money in such situations.
    Which makes sense. And ties in to the idea of money representing one's life energy as talked about in YMOYL.

Thread Information