Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your most expensive decluttering regret?

Though not expensive I collected a shoe box of luggage claim tags from my travels to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, USA, etc, back
    when major airports had their own unique luggage tags. Now they are all the same, computer generated, bar coded and lack any sentimental worth.
    Gone is the golden age of air travel. As a side note when we flew to London on 747 PanAm Jumbo jet, we had a buffet dinner at the front of the plane
    and row by low went up to be served! Up one aisle and down the other! Can't even imagine what would have happened if we had experienced
    any emergency!

I have a question for y'all. I don't cook from cans or boxes meaning I don't buy premade meals that you heat and serve like canned ravioli or Stoffer dinners. But when the pandemic hit, my husband asked me to stock up on that sort of thing when the shelves at the grocery store started going bare. The entire time, we never used them. The only thing I had problems finding food wise was ground turkey which I ended up getting through an Instacart order one time. Now I am left with all this stuff in the pantry and freezer that we won't use more than likely. I say toss it but husband says that we need it "for emergencies ". It isn't taking up valuable space but it is annoying to see it when I know it won't get used. Who is right? Toss or save?

I think you are both right--can you use one or two a week in your usual meal rotation so that you still have some in case we get closed down again, but you are working through it so that hopefully, it will all be gone someday?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think you are both right--can you use one or two a week in your usual meal rotation so that you still have some in case we get closed down again, but you are working through it so that hopefully, it will all be gone someday?
    I could but honestly I won't (nor do I want to). We aren't fans of those types of meals. My husband is a saver for "just in case" so I am sure that is his thinking behind wanting to keep them. But if I made one for dinner, it would be "why are we eating this crap" .

Toss or save?
    Is any of this food donate-able to your local food bank?

Adding: I normally don't eat this type of food either. But once we had a snowstorm, lost power for a week, and just doing everything for daily living was HARD. I was cold, and sore from shoveling, and tired and I really just wanted something I could just heat, or just add hot water to. I didn't really care how it tasted. I wouldn't have a LOT of this type of food, but a couple of cans or bags is something I keep on hand now.

I can see your husband's point of view, but you knowing that you will never eat the stuff makes it seem silly to keep. I would suggest keeping an eye on the expiration dates and, a couple months before something is about to expire, donate it so that someone can use it and the stockpile will eventually be reduced.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    I could but honestly I won't (nor do I want to). We aren't fans of those types of meals. My husband is a saver for "just in case" so I am sure that is his thinking behind wanting to keep them. But if I made one for dinner, it would be "why are we eating this crap" .
    serve it to him for lunches. You eat something different.

we keep a couple of cans of disgusting canned soup for the times DH wants soup and I don’t have any home made soup frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Is any of this food donate-able to your local food bank?

Adding: I normally don't eat this type of food either. But once we had a snowstorm, lost power for a week, and just doing everything for daily living was HARD. I was cold, and sore from shoveling, and tired and I really just wanted something I could just heat, or just add hot water to. I didn't really care how it tasted. I wouldn't have a LOT of this type of food, but a couple of cans or bags is something I keep on hand now.
    Yes it is donatable but the place has strict rules about when people can drop stuff off and I am never around during those hours so if I get rid of something, I will either give it to a person I know or trash it.

I understand all too well about losing power for a week or more. We have had several hurricanes go through where that has happened. We don't get snow often but have gotten a couple blizzards. With both case scenarios, we may be house bound for a day or two but can usually get out after that. Everyone around here as chainsaws for downed trees and plows for snow. We could get out and get food if needed. Plus all the stuff I mentioned has to be heated so losing power takes that option out. We can survive on cold cereal and sandwiches for a day or two until we can get out. Covid was a non- issue here so we were never on lockdown and we get enough warning if bad weather is coming that I can grab stuff if needed. We keep plenty of basic stuff like bread, TP, peanut butter, snacks, etc that we could survive ok for a few days

The more and more I talk about it, the more and more I am convinced to just toss it.

Different posters have mentioned that communities like FAcebook or Neighbour Watch etc have donation options or Womens' Shelters may be able to take some of it for their emergency supplies.
    Having said that, I do realize that if an individual makes a donation of such items, there is no surety that it has not been contaminated. I know some seniors would love to have these if they know the donor.
    Sad to toss food items that others might really value.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    serve it to him for lunches. You eat something different.

we keep a couple of cans of disgusting canned soup for the times DH wants soup and I don’t have any home made soup frozen.
    He won't eat it either. That is why I said if I served it, he would ask why we were eating this crap. My husband actually prefers canned soup so when I do make homemade soup, he seems disappointed. Ugh.. men!!

Thread Information