Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your most expensive decluttering regret?

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    He won't eat it either. That is why I said if I served it, he would ask why we were eating this crap. My husband actually prefers canned soup so when I do make homemade soup, he seems disappointed. Ugh.. men!!
    Ah! I didn’t read carefully.

Your only action is to get rid of it. I live in an area where there’s food donation places every half mile so it’s hard for me to visualize a place where they are so picky about when you can donate. I just passed a church collection barrel when I attended a Flower show meeting in a church. There might be closer places to donate than you think but of course you have toSpend your own time to find out where they are.

Maybe keep your eyes peeled at Christmas time? So many canned food collection places pop up around holiday time.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Different posters have mentioned that communities like FAcebook or Neighbour Watch etc have donation options or Womens' Shelters may be able to take some of it for their emergency supplies.
    Having said that, I do realize that if an individual makes a donation of such items, there is no surety that it has not been contaminated. I know some seniors would love to have these if they know the donor.
    Sad to toss food items that others might really value.
    I agree it is wasteful but I know myself well enough that if I have to go through more steps than bagging it up, putting it in my trunk, and then into the dumpster, I won't do it and it will stay which is the opposite of what I want. Plus most of the people who go to our food banks are not people who need it. They are the same people who hoarded toilet paper during the pandemic. People who are only thinking about themselves and don't care about others. I guess some could say that about me and tossing away good donatable items.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    I agree it is wasteful but I know myself well enough that if I have to go through more steps than bagging it up, putting it in my trunk, and then into the dumpster, I won't do it and it will stay which is the opposite of what I want. Plus most of the people who go to our food banks are not people who need it. They are the same people who hoarded toilet paper during the pandemic. People who are only thinking about themselves and don't care about others. I guess some could say that about me and tossing away good donatable items.

ohhhhhh. Sayin’ people who go to food banks do not really need it are words of conflict!

during Covid we were treated in my inner city to story after story of very long lines at the food banks and diminished stock there. I don’t doubt that people who lost their jobs had to go to food banks and that was a bigger population than usual.

But I will never forget the experience I had of digging 80 some cans of food from a food bank out of one of our big industrial dumpsters in an alley. I know it was from the food bank because one of the containers of organic orange juice, unopened and still within the expiration date, was stamped with the name of the food bank. And then one of the residents along the alley came out and said she had dumped the food because she was newly pregnant and needed “fresh food. “I’ll never forget that.

nor will I forget…ORGANIC orange juice. Pretty fancy if you ask me.

As far as taking your time to donate food, this board is very shaming about that! Your time has no meaning! Throwing away FOOD is horrifying to some people beyond a reasonable level. Even composting it, not good enough!

They shamed me into driving fairly useless huge garden vegetables around to a food bank last year. But one good thing about that trip was I did identify a place that welcomed fresh garden vegetables. I suspect they throw much of them away, But I have not checked their dumpster. But as I once again have bags full of overly large cucumbers that we will not use and we’ve already given them away to friends, I either compost them or drive them to the food bank.

My sidemount diving harness. Cost about $450 used. Sold it as I thought I was out of sidemount but then went back to Sidemount two years later. Found another used for about the same.

IL, just shaking my head at the thrown away canned food. What a twat. Bet her kid turns out to be as stupid as she is.

I have found a local small shelter that doesn’t throw donated food away and is happy to get it. I will go out of my way to donate. Last year I found 2 groups that would come to the house and pick the fruit trees which was great. You are in a rural area so it may not work but I could get rid of just about anything by posting it on Facebook marketplace.

Today I really miss my food processor! I gave mine away about 8 years ago and haven't really thought about it until today, as I'm doing a bunch of food prep stuff. Oh, well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    IL, just shaking my head at the thrown away canned food. What a twat. Bet her kid turns out to be as stupid as she is.
    Doubtful but you definitely turned out to be a flaming asshole!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    serve it to him for lunches. You eat something different.

we keep a couple of cans of disgusting canned soup for the times DH wants soup and I don’t have any home made soup frozen.
    THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!!

I have the same sentiments about canned soup but do occasionally make grilled cheese and use a canned soup. It is part of my emergency stash and want to keep it rotated.

The local senior center gets food and people donate excess garden veggies. They commented that whatever is left at the end, a local farmer comes and picks up to feed to his animals. I thought that was pretty cool.

Thread Information