Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your most expensive decluttering regret?

What is your most expensive decluttering regret?

A $250 Bissell Crosswave. Ended up buying another one but this one gets used often unlike the one I decluttered so at least there is a positive side.

What is something you tossed/donated that you ended up regretting that was an expensive oops moment?

We did a huge purge two years ago in order to move from a 2100 sq.ft. house to a 680 sq.ft. one. We were on a mission to get rid of things. My DH was a producer of TV shows and he had tons of equipment. Tape decks, VCRs, cameras, you name it. My kids wanted some of it--especially my son-in-law who is a picker by profession (he wasn't then but he is now) and he knew the value.

A man came by in a van and bought it all for about $75. My son-in-law restrained himself because he didn't want to upset his FIL, but I know that both he and my kids were VERY regretful that they weren't there to pull back the reins in on their father. I was a little bit more careful about relinquishing things I was on the fence about, so I really don't have any regrets.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

At the moment, i cannot think of one and I pitch a lot of stuff.

I tend to be forward looking and seldom look back in regret at little things. I have a few big regrets but they have nothing to do with Stuff.

I don’t even know what a Bissell cross wave is. So I can look it up but I don’t think that I will.

Some things I should have discarded long ago rather than regret giving up. I had some shares I wanted to cash or sell but DH wanted to see if they would recover. They did not!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I got rid of an air filter years ago figuring "I don't really have a use for this afterall do I?", then I eventually had to buy another (not for covid, for fires). So there is that.

I thought I'd tossed N95s, and covid hit and I was like "man ..." but a few months later I found them hiding in a first aid kit (which you know was kind of logical really...) So that's not a decluttering event, that's losing track of stuff.

I gave away hand weights and missed them during covid. Now I can go to the gym again, and don't care, but will keep some.
    Trees don't grow on money

Nothing really. Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    At the moment, i cannot think of one and I pitch a lot of stuff.

I tend to be forward looking and seldom look back in regret at little things. I have a few big regrets but they have nothing to do with Stuff.

I don’t even know what a Bissell cross wave is. So I can look it up but I don’t think that I will.
    It vacuums and mops at the same time. Used for hard floors and area rugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

Good for you!!

I thought about it and really couldn't come up with anything. I may hang onto more than I should, but other than some inherited family items, they can be replaced if it turns out to be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wish I could say that very thing. For me, giving something up, or not, involves the same regret, the time wasted one way or the other. Not the item.

Thread Information