Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

A certain breed of scapegoating requires the scapegoater to say “horse dewormer” and hope the masses will stop right there.

Look at the latest ivermectin media hoax, where sources like Rolling Stone and Rachel Maddow uncritically amplified the bogus story that ignorant Oklahomans couldn’t be treated for gunshot wounds because the hospitals were full of ignorant Oklahomans who had overdosed on horse dewormer. It was catnip for Progressives: guns, stupid red state yokels, bogus remedies. No wonder it was too good to to check.

I think this disease has become hopelessly politicized. Look at the President’s recent series of legally questionable edicts. He could have made them any time, but somehow waited until it was convenient to distract attention from the degringolade in Afghanistan. Everyone seems to have an agenda that has little to do with “the science”.

Can it ever match the sneering one gets for getting a vaccine among that conspiracy set? For taking medicine that actually has a fair amount of evidence behind it, like I don't know vaccines that went through months of clinical trials.

I never heard of the invermectin media hoax (more stuff everyone is supposed to be on about that most people have never heard of), I have heard of high covid hospitalizations in some states though, I have heard that some of the evidence initially pushed for invermectin turned out to be bogus.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A certain breed of scapegoating requires the scapegoater to say “horse dewormer” and hope the masses will stop right there.

Look at the latest ivermectin media hoax, where sources like Rolling Stone and Rachel Maddow uncritically amplified the bogus story that ignorant Oklahomans couldn’t be treated for gunshot wounds because the hospitals were full of ignorant Oklahomans who had overdosed on horse dewormer. It was catnip for Progressives: guns, stupid red state yokels, bogus remedies. No wonder it was too good to to check.

I think this disease has become hopelessly politicized. Look at the President’s recent series of legally questionable edicts. He could have made them any time, but somehow waited until it was convenient to distract attention from the degringolade in Afghanistan. Everyone seems to have an agenda that has little to do with “the science”.
    I do understand that Dr. Faucci *Is* in a politically controlled environment. Likely he would be the first to agree. And I think he’s doing his best and it’s not a bad job. But he’s had some serious stumbles.

One podcaster recently said something to the effect that the Internet will suss out untruths and they will be revealed. They, the key clicking hoards, will get to truth in the end.

I agree with this, but as a practical matter there is so much noise and billions of idiotic posts to wade through that The Truth is often (usually?) obscured.

ANM I understand that you didn’t hear the Oklahoma-hospitals-overrun-with-Ivermectin-poisoning story and I applaud you for not looking at the five stories that day we were supposed to pay attention to.

And finally, LDahl, kudos to you for using “degringolade.” A word I do not know. I am pleased this took place on my high brow thread about “the science.” Way to keep up the standards!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I do understand that Dr. Faucci *Is* in a politically controlled environment. Likely he would be the first to agree. And I think he’s doing his best and it’s not a bad job. But he’s had some serious stumbles.

One podcaster recently said something to the effect that the Internet will suss out untruths and they will be revealed. They, the key clicking hoards, will get to truth in the end.

I agree with this, but as a practical matter there is so much noise and billions of idiotic posts to wade through that The Truth is often (usually?) obscured.

ANM I understand that you didn’t hear the Oklahoma-hospitals-overrun-with-Ivermectin-poisoning story and I applaud you for not looking at the five stories that day we were supposed to pay attention to.

And finally, LDahl, kudos to you for using “degringolade.” A word I do not know. I am pleased this took place on my high brow thread about “the science.” Way to keep up the standards!
    I see the internet as similar to the old trope about enough monkeys at enough typewriters eventually producing Shakespeare. But you would have trouble finding it among infinite heaps of nonsense.

I’ve been looking to an excuse to use “hebdomadal” in a sentence ever since I heard it.

I’ve been looking to an excuse to use “hebdomadal” in a sentence ever since I heard it.
    Does Santa give you a Word of the Day calendar every year?? I don't think your vocabulary would be that impressive with a hebdomadal calendar. (see what I did there?) You do have an impressive vocabulary. I looked up the etymology of both words--one from French meaning "to tumble" and one from the Latin meaning 7th (day of the week).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I see the internet as similar to the old trope about enough monkeys at enough typewriters eventually producing Shakespeare. But you would have trouble finding it among infinite heaps of nonsense.

Funny you should bring up the word “typewriter.” In the past couple of days I’ve been thinking about That Time I Was Wrong when the Internet hordes kept picking away at big respected News source CBS until they sussed out THE TRUTH about the George Bush/National Guard hoax letter. I remember driving to Iowa and listening to talk radio where so many callers were promoting the point of view that CBS was wrong, based on intricate analysis of typewriter technology at the time the letter was supposedly written. Endless freakin’ detail about key strikes, key options on old models of typewriters, etc etc.

I was wrong because I thought the chattering hordes were just making lots of noise.

I was wrong. The chattering hordes nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Can it ever match the sneering one gets for getting a vaccine among that conspiracy set?
    oh of course.

And to bring this discussion back to this forum, have you seen anyone, any one poster, sneer at people for getting a vaccine? sneer, berate, wring hands…use all of those verbs.

Have you seen anyone, one poster, sneer at people for NOT getting a vaccine? Sneer, berate, wring hands, use all of those verbs.

Moral equivalency. It's a tricky concept.

And to bring this discussion back to this forum, have you seen anyone, any one poster, sneer at people for getting a vaccine? sneer, berate, wring hands…use all of those verbs.

Have you seen anyone, one poster, sneer at people for NOT getting a vaccine? Sneer, berate, wring hands, use all of those verbs.
    I have seen it elsewhere on the internet. We're stupid dumb sheep to believe in pharma and get a vaccine or something, much less to believe it provides much in the way of protection. Fine. BAAAA!!! BAAA!!! (sheep noise).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Funny you should bring up the word “typewriter.” In the past couple of days I’ve been thinking about That Time I Was Wrong when the Internet hordes kept picking away at big respected News source CBS until they sussed out THE TRUTH about the George Bush/National Guard hoax letter. I remember driving to Iowa and listening to talk radio where so many callers were promoting the point of view that CBS was wrong, based on intricate analysis of typewriter technology at the time the letter was supposedly written. Endless freakin’ detail about key strikes, key options on old models of typewriters, etc etc.

I was wrong because I thought the chattering hordes were just making lots of noise.

I was wrong. The chattering hordes nailed it.
    I remember those simple, innocent times when GWB was evil incarnate. Even when the fraud was exposed, the Possessors of the Greater Truth that Transcends Mere Factuality defended it as “fake but accurate”.

Thread Information