Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have been googling and looking to see if I can find the answer to your questions. The topic is SO broad, and the studies out there are, let me say, pretty dense. I'll see what I can find and report back. Can you provide me with the 3 key questions you would like to have the answers to?
    i would LOVE to know what % of Covid sufferers experience Long Covid to a debilitating degree. I suppose we could assume “Long Covid” IS debilitating or else we wouldnt be studying it tho.

Then…how long does Long Covid last? Someone in my condo has it and she says she’s on a discussion forum for Long Covid. She said people report waking up one morning and poof it is gone. I do think it’s possible that we don’t know how long it lasts because we haven’t been in the disease bubble long enough to have good data and of,course “Long “ is longer for some than for others.

Finally, what are the top symptons of Long Covid?

I'm not going to wade through the voluminous knowledge base developing around COVID-19, but here's a study showing brain damage in a large percentage of people hospitalized with it:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...-complications

"Eight of 10 hospitalized COVID-19 patients developed neurologic complications and were six times more likely than their peers to die, according to early results from a global study published yesterday in JAMA Network Open.
    Many of the conditions were mild to moderate, but half of the patients had altered brain function or structure, and almost one in five were in a coma."

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Then…how long does Long Covid last? Someone in my condo has it and she says she’s on a discussion forum for Long Covid. She said people report waking up one morning and poof it is gone. I do think it’s possible that we don’t know how long it lasts because we haven’t been in the disease bubble long enough to have good data and of,course “Long “ is longer for some than for others.

Finally, what are the top symptons of Long Covid?
    A friend of a friend has it, and started a FB support group. She's gone from being a healthy, active middle-aged woman to an exhausted, depressed person who can barely get out of bed. I've heard of people getting some relief from the vaccine, but don't know about her case. It kind of sounds like ME/CFS, which ties in with the idea of brain damage.

https://www.cdc.gov/me-cfs/index.html

Anyone can chime in but I’m looking at bae, jp, and Gardnr especially. I asked this question in the politics section because it will devolve into political spin from all three of you. Might as well start out right.
    Earlier today, before reading this thread, my wife and I visited a small historic church in Keystone Nebraska, it was built in 1908 with money raised by 10 local girls. It has a Catholic altar on one end and a Protestant altar on the other and has reversible pews. I remember thinking as we toured it that some of our posters might report with full solemnity that those damned Republican Protestants wouldn't let the poor Catholics have their own church, or vice versa.

Edited in an effort to stay on topic:

I think what the science says is that vaccination rates are lower in low income and majority minority areas. There are probably many diverse reasons for this having little to do with political leanings.

I think facts also suggest that Republican governors are more likely to prohibit the power of their states to diminish their constituents civil liberties, even during a pandemic. The constant refrain we hear on these forums that Republicans want people to die is a gross distortion of fact and are only allowed to be published because conservative Republicans who are comfortable with differences of opinion run the site. Of course, that's just my opinion but I believe anyone can see the truth is in the proverbial pudding.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was a very serious Catholic. First book I remember reading was The Lives of the Saints. Wanted to be a nun. 12 years of Catholic school. Had an altar in my bedroom.
    My DH was an "orange" Protestant, and when he proposed and we planned our wedding, I agreed to getting married in a Protestant church because those Scottish Presbyterian relatives wouldn't have set foot in a Catholic Church. To me, I figured, we say the same Lord's Prayer and Apostle's Creed so what's the difference? I have sometimes regretted that decision because Catholicism is deeply ingrained in me, but I stand by it.

I'm as liberal as you can get, but I'm married to a Republican Protestant. What I don't like is the politicization of religion. I don't get Evangelical Trumpers--I really don't. I once asked my husband if he considered himself an American first or a Christian first. If people are serious about their religion, I think they should stand by that, and "render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and render to God the things that are God's." That's why there's separation of Church and State.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Church and state should not mix IMO.

Great then since it’s so straightforward and clear-cut for you, please tell me what “the Science “says about any one of the questions above. Or all of them.
    You can read as well as any of us.

I don't have time to review and summarize the most recently published scientific findings, but I can give you the sources for doing that: Pubmed and Google Scholar.
    For example,
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=long+covid (Just go to pubmed.gov and enter your search terms)
    https://scholar.google.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I don't have time to review and summarize the most recently published scientific findings, but I can give you the sources for doing that: Pubmed and Google Scholar.
    For example,
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=long+covid (Just go to pubmed.gov and enter your search terms)
    https://scholar.google.com/

Yes I know about pub med. I wanted a shortcut because we have so many people here who are so very knowledgeable about the science and who like to lecture me. I just wonder what the lecture of the moment is, I mean besides Republicans are bad and want to kill people.

But on another note, I do have genuine interest in discussing aspects of Covid outside of a political context (like the Long Covid issue) ‘tho I know that that is not possible for certain posters here.

Alan, that’s really cool about the church!

Thread Information