Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The cognitive issues I did not know about.

There doesnt seem to be a clear answer on % of patients with Long Covid.

20%
    10-35%
    50-80%

The latter seems too high but I would believe 10-35%.
    I imagine the statistics are squishy because only the most debilitating cases are reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    A year and a half after having Covid my sister is still on two inhalers, her blood pressure is all over the place, cognitive issues and deep fatigue. My daugher in law still has stomach problems, cognitive issues and deep fatigue eight months out.
    I'm sorry your sister and dil are still dealing with long-term issues. I hope they both are able to fully recover soon!

I agree with pinkytoe and others that we are still in the thick of this and there is still so much to learn about the initial virus, let alone the variants.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Sometimes “the science” is actual fraud. All of the noise around ivermectin as a possible savior in the Covid game, mostly taken up by The Wrong Political Side, is now exposed as likely faux research.

It wasn’t an Anglo centric research facility anyways that put out the initial data, it was a University in Egypt. So probably someone can make a race issue out of that, but whatever.

so the scientific method of peer analysis and scrutiny seems to have worked on this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...hical-concerns

The research on Ivermectin has always seemed and seems to me inconclusive. But yea it's taken up by conspiracy theorists. It didn't help their credibility that most of the laypeople on the ivermectin wagon were the same that had jumped on the hydroxycholine wagon. Gah you conspiracy nuts are burning up your credibility fast. You are like ALWAYS WRONG. But ok, it's a different drug, we don't know what we don't know, trails can be done yada yada.

But the main question here in the U.S. that interests me isn't whether it works or not, we'll find out eventually, but is why in the U.S. where we have vaccines does it even matter much? The vaccines have far more proof of being effective than Ivermectin. We have vaccines! There is a small percentage of the population for whom vaccines don't work (due to immune issues) I suppose of course. But for the most people, we have vaccines.

I can see the desperation for other treatments in the rest of the world where vaccines are still scarce of course. They have a crisis with no way to deal with it. Of course anywhere without access to the vaccines is desperately for anything that could work to stop the deaths.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Thanks for that IL. My husband is one of the right wing whackos who is convinced ivermectin is the answer and refuses to get vaccinated. Sigh. He keeps showing me "studies" that he reads and interprets as something completely different than I interpret. This is someone who is smart and good at math, and he mis reads mis interprets the data in front of him.

The only thing in his favor is that he's a hermit and rarely leaves the house, so he's unlikely to pick up anything. But I can't in good conscience travel with him anywhere, because he also refuses to wear a mask unless its legally mandated.

I thought most of the anti-vaxxers consider COVID-19 a hoax or think God is their anti-viral, so I don't know why they need drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Thanks for that IL. My husband is one of the right wing whackos who is convinced ivermectin is the answer and refuses to get vaccinated. Sigh. He keeps showing me "studies" that he reads and interprets as something completely different than I interpret. This is someone who is smart and good at math, and he mis reads mis interprets the data in front of him.

The only thing in his favor is that he's a hermit and rarely leaves the house, so he's unlikely to pick up anything. But I can't in good conscience travel with him anywhere, because he also refuses to wear a mask unless its legally mandated.
    Um my DH considers himself a scientist and he may have been on the ivermectin train, I don’t remember. Seems like we talked about it briefly.I don’t think he approaches social issues in a logical way at all (cough cough his family drama over his father’s estate) but when I pin him down on his thought processes about things that seem fringe, he can sometimes convince me that there is a reasonable thought process going on there.

My unvaccinated DH will willingly wear a mask without complaint, but since nearly all of our social interactions take place outdoors, I do not nag him about it if he doesn’t have one on outside.

Science, being a human endeavor, is almost by definition fraught with all the same frailties as any other: greed, ego, politics, etc. all come into play, which is why I'm wary of blindly following it. But it's still the best tool we have.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Science, being a human endeavor, is almost by definition fraught with all the same frailties as any other: greed, ego, politics, etc. all come into play, which is why I'm wary of blindly following it. But it's still the best tool we have.
    It is an excellent tool. Its false prophets are the ones that we have to watch.

I thought most of the anti-vaxxers consider COVID-19 a hoax or think God is their anti-viral, so I don't know why they need drugs...
    My spouse is agnostic at best, and was worrying that Covid was real well before I was really aware of it (January-ish 2020). So there's this odd cognitive dissonance going on. He's smart and capable yet dismisses mainstream science theory and embraces conspiratorial "science" on this specific item. He's convinced the only reason we don't hear about it is because there is no money to be made - well that is likely correct, but you'd think that at least the manufacturer (Merck) would be willing to sponsor trials and they aren't.

I told him I didn't want to continue to hear about unless/until there is a double blind study that shows some reasonable correlation. An anecdotal write up of 30 participants doesn't cut it for me. Yet even though he embraces these small anecdotal stories are "that's proof!", he dismisses the fact that many millions of folks in the world have gotten a covid vaccine with minimal side effects- and certainly few side effects attributed to THIS vaccine versus side effects that happen frequently with ANY vaccine (eg rashes, fever).

Thread Information