Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 145

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

  1. #51
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    19,914
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Herbgeek's spouse and DH must be brothers. Even the hermit part. Yesterday, I mentioned possibly flying by myself since I am vaccinated and we still have credits; unvaxed DH started in with how some airlines aren't letting recently vaxed passengers fly due to potential blood clots. When he says these odd things, I sometimes do a fact check and see that they are either bogus or greatly exaggerated. It is hard living with the irrational thinking this has brought upon us. It makes me think less of him which is not a good way to feel about one's spouse.
    oh yes, the “blood clot “ scare has been floated in my house because I do mention my plan to go to Europe and leave DH at home.

    But in reality right now, I have no desire to pack myself like a sardine into a plane and stand in line with hundreds of people and walk through their air spray and etc.

    My DH meets up with a fair number of people, he isnt a hermit. But it is all outdoors. He walks each day with our friends when he is in the city. Up until recent weeks he interacted regularly with the construction crew in
    hermann (none of whom are vaccinated according to him. I wonder about that, though.)

  2. #52
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,227
    The ivermectin fans fascinate me. I’ve come across a few online and they all were dead set against the vaccines because they don’t feel that they have been adequately tested. Yet they have been far more tested than ivermectin…

    Back to the original topic of this thread, this article is an interesting look at some of the research that has been going on. Apparently people’s immune systems seem to be the problem for many of the people with serious cases. Roughly 10% of people who had serious infections have immune antibodies that prevent their bodies from mounting an interferon response. This is typical for people that have autoimmune diseases but most of these patients had not previously been diagnosed with such or presented previously with any symptoms of such.

    https://magazine.ucsf.edu/your-immun...CDxwolo33U26q8

  3. #53
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,148
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Oh I am glad I don't have the white Republican male partner problem
    You're behind the times, apparently progressive women prefer to date conservative men. Why progressive women want to date men who act conservative (nypost.com)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #54
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    19,914
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The ivermectin fans fascinate me. I’ve come across a few online and they all were dead set against the vaccines because they don’t feel that they have been adequately tested. Yet they have been far more tested than ivermectin…
    While I don’t wish to argue the value of ivermectin in general or in the specific because I just don’t know that much about it (except as a canine drug for heartworm prevention, so yeah, I have more experience with it than you) this right here is a bold statement that is just wrong if you are trying to represent a point of view other than your own.

    You are wrong, and you misunderstand a basic premise of those you argue against.

    Ivermectin has been around for decades and used in humans for parasite control in wide populations. That is a good test.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043740/

    The COVID vaccines have been used on wide populations for only months. And still not approved by the FDA.

    Seems reasonable to me to be more concerned about one than the other.

    Back to the original topic of this thread, this article is an interesting look at some of the research that has been going on. Apparently people’s immune systems seem to be the problem for many of the people with serious cases. Roughly 10% of people who had serious infections have immune antibodies that prevent their bodies from mounting an interferon response. This is typical for people that have autoimmune diseases but most of these patients had not previously been diagnosed with such or presented previously with any symptoms of such.

    https://magazine.ucsf.edu/your-immun...CDxwolo33U26q8

    This seems like an authoritative source that shows some positive use in vitro for Ivermectrin combating COVID. At least, that is what rhe abstract says.

    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66354220302011

    Once again, not an entirely fringe point of view to think Ivermectin MIGHT have properties that combat COVID 19.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    387
    That was an excellent article. COVID may lead to a better understanding of immune malfunctions in general, down the line.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,913
    You're behind the times, apparently progressive women prefer to date conservative men.
    many of those things I regard as peripheral, so either way is okay really, no biggie. If the bill is split or not split, I always offered to split, but whatever. But a lot of traditional masculine stuff, did not work for me, I bumped up against it hard enough times. Almost enough to turn one off men forever.

    The evolutionary psychologist who would tell me what to want can get bent. BTW, women are always being told what we ought to want, aren't we? That's just being a woman, right, you ought to want this, you ought to do that, blah blah blah forever. Even worse if they presume to tell us what we really want (please mansplain it to me). Well, turns I want a man with a little more Anima. Revealed preference baby. How is that for psychology (and economics too!).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,913
    So Ivermectin is probably safe but may or may not do anything against Covid. Meanwhile vaccines are so far extremely effective against Covid, but may have some long term consequence we don't know about not even in theory, but just because they are too new to have long term safety data.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  8. #58
    Senior Member herbgeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,522
    So Ivermectin is probably safe but may or may not do anything against Covid. Meanwhile vaccines are so far extremely effective against Covid, but may have some long term consequence we don't know about not even in theory, but just because they are too new to have long term safety data.
    Ivermectin from what I have looked at, has been used against parasites for many years with few side effects, so if my husband takes it, it is not likely to harm him. I'm not convinced it is helping him, of course, but that's different than if he were taking something else that was untested just because an unknown doctor got 30 people to say it worked for them. If I thought the ivermectin was unsafe, conversations in my house would be different.

    I do agree that we don't know long term effects of this vaccine. I weighed the risks of dying now versus dying later. I also went with the J+J vaccine, which while its "new" has used the same platform to develop it that it did for their ebola vaccine which has been commercially available for a number of years, and I couldn't find any significant effects listed for the Ebola one.

  9. #59
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    19,914
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Ivermectin from what I have looked at, has been used against parasites for many years with few side effects, so if my husband takes it, it is not likely to harm him. I'm not convinced it is helping him, of course, but that's different than if he were taking something else that was untested just because an unknown doctor got 30 people to say it worked for them. If I thought the ivermectin was unsafe, conversations in my house would be different.

    I do agree that we don't know long term effects of this vaccine. I weighed the risks of dying now versus dying later. I also went with the J+J vaccine, which while its "new" has used the same platform to develop it that it did for their ebola vaccine which has been commercially available for a number of years, and I couldn't find any significant effects listed for the Ebola one.
    Agreed.
    I’ve said here before that I weighed my options And decided the Covid disease was far worse threat for me than the Covid vaccines. I used to have a very good immune system but I was sick with the never ending crud in 2019, so I’m not sure how strong my immune system is at the moment.

    My immune system has always been better than that of DH, but I’m not so sure it is now. He almost always has a reaction to vaccines anyway although this is a new type so I don’t know if it would be better but it would probably be worse because psychology.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You're behind the times, apparently progressive women prefer to date conservative men. Why progressive women want to date men who act conservative (nypost.com)
    I only got a few paragraphs into that article before I gave up in disgust. I might consider dating a conservative male of the Steve Schmidt/Michael Steele variety, but I'm with ANM--don't tell me what I'm supposed to do, or how I'm supposed to feel about it. And I'll continue to pay my own way and express myself however I choose to without being over-concerned with convention.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •