Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 146

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,033
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Does Santa give you a Word of the Day calendar every year?? I don't think your vocabulary would be that impressive with a hebdomadal calendar. (see what I did there?) You do have an impressive vocabulary. I looked up the etymology of both words--one from French meaning "to tumble" and one from the Latin meaning 7th (day of the week).
    I think I read both those words reading National Review, where they strive to preserve the William F Buckley tradition of refusing to write for the lowest common denominator. Some might call it supercilious pedantry, but I call it fun.

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,033
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Moral equivalency. It's a tricky concept.
    I forget who it was who said when people talk about “moral equivalency” they’re usually talking about levels of immorality.

  3. #103
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,268
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Funny you should bring up the word “typewriter.” In the past couple of days I’ve been thinking about That Time I Was Wrong when the Internet hordes kept picking away at big respected News source CBS until they sussed out THE TRUTH about the George Bush/National Guard hoax letter. I remember driving to Iowa and listening to talk radio where so many callers were promoting the point of view that CBS was wrong, based on intricate analysis of typewriter technology at the time the letter was supposedly written. Endless freakin’ detail about key strikes, key options on old models of typewriters, etc etc.

    I was wrong because I thought the chattering hordes were just making lots of noise.

    I was wrong. The chattering hordes nailed it.
    I thought it was interesting to watch Dan Rather bet his career on a document containing superscript and spacing examples which could not be reproduced by typewriters of the era in which it was supposedly produced. I'll bet he still lies in bed at night repeating "fake but accurate dammit!"
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #104
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,362
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Moral equivalency. It's a tricky concept.
    Nuanced opinions. Also tricky.

  5. #105
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Nuanced opinions. Also tricky.
    The Pantone grey color space is quite varied.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A certain breed of scapegoating requires the scapegoater to say “horse dewormer” and hope the masses will stop right there.

    Look at the latest ivermectin media hoax, where sources like Rolling Stone and Rachel Maddow uncritically amplified the bogus story that ignorant Oklahomans couldn’t be treated for gunshot wounds because the hospitals were full of ignorant Oklahomans who had overdosed on horse dewormer. It was catnip for Progressives: guns, stupid red state yokels, bogus remedies. No wonder it was too good to to check.

    I think this disease has become hopelessly politicized. Look at the President’s recent series of legally questionable edicts. He could have made them any time, but somehow waited until it was convenient to distract attention from the degringolade in Afghanistan. Everyone seems to have an agenda that has little to do with “the science”.
    As I exhibited earlier, these same "edicts" were already done in 1905 and 1922 and approved by the Supreme Court. Look it up.

  7. #107
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,362
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    As I exhibited earlier, these same "edicts" were already done in 1905 and 1922 and approved by the Supreme Court. Look it up.
    I am not the legal scholar you are, but a cursory Googling showed the 1905 Jacobson case and the 1922 Virginia school board case* puts the Supreme Court’s seal of approval on state actions, not Federal.


    Those cases dealt with state mandates.

    There’s a difference between a state. And the feds. Our constitution recognizes that. That will play into whatever action President Biden puts out. We don’t really know what the directive will say because it hasn’t been published yet.

    *Interestingly enough, that 1922 case justified quite a lot of things to be for the good of the public health including mandatory sterilization for people we thought should not reproduce. That was considered for the good of society. Whoah.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,033
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not the legal scholar you are, but a cursory Googling showed the 1905 Jacobson case and the 1922 Virginia school board case* puts the Supreme Court’s seal of approval on state actions, not Federal.


    Those cases dealt with state mandates.

    There’s a difference between a state. And the feds. Our constitution recognizes that. That will play into whatever action President Biden puts out. We don’t really know what the directive will say because it hasn’t been published yet.

    *Interestingly enough, that 1922 case justified quite a lot of things to be for the good of the public health including mandatory sterilization for people we thought should not reproduce. That was considered for the good of society. Whoah.
    People keep thinking that if they ignore federalism it will go away. They want an omnipotent all-father to take care of them, but don’t consider that the next exercise of arbitrary power might not take a form they like.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    11,854
    I found it funny that in 1905 some people were making the same arguments for the vaccine such as follow the science and anti-Vax people wanted their free dumb).

  10. #110
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I found it funny that in 1905 some people were making the same arguments for the vaccine such as follow the science and anti-Vax people wanted their free dumb).
    Yes, classic ideals of freedom are, well, classic and are , interestingly enough, embodied in our constitution.

    If daddy Joe gets away with some of the things he’s floating, that will be unfortunate. As far as I’m concerned he can order federal employees to get a shot because he’s their employer. It’s not so clear cut to me the other directives.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •