Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

I think we are hearing from the silly extremes at both ends of the spectrum. We have on one end people who consider masks and/or vaccines to be an intolerable imposition regardless of the public health consequences. On the other, we have vaccinated, mask-wearing people who seem to live in terror of the relatively small but measurable risk to them of the noncompliant; or that the scoffers will serve as Petrie dishes for new variants, which is probably true, although there are many other countries where that could happen even if the entire US were to be immune.

And we also have those who rather cynically use the disease as a cover for attacking politicians or their supporters, or as a distraction from other issues. This is where most of the silliest namecalling comes from.

Personally I think there are many areas where some of us impose risks on others at some level, and that we need to carefully consider how much “free dumb” we are willing to sacrifice for what may be an illusion of absolute security.

My guess is that Covid will eventually become endemic at some level similar to the flu. Like the flu, it will kill a certain number of us every year, but I doubt we will see calls for sweeping government powers to control it.

Yppej
    Yes, covid will be endemic. What does the science say? In the link below it says that covid is not "the big one".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ly-the-big-one

Imagine if we have worn out the public's patience with restrictions and mandates, and pulled kids out of school and disrupted their education, all for a virus that the science says in the article below mainly affects old people in poor health:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...our-conditions

Then imagine a really dangerous pandemic comes and everyone thinks it's crying wolf again. This is a scary thing to envision.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes, covid will be endemic. What does the science say? In the link below it says that covid is not "the big one".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ly-the-big-one

Imagine if we have worn out the public's patience with restrictions and mandates, and pulled kids out of school and disrupted their education, all for a virus that the science says in the article below mainly affects old people in poor health:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...our-conditions

Then imagine a really dangerous pandemic comes and everyone thinks it's crying wolf again. This is a scary thing to envision.
    Why is that scary? It’ll kill off the people who deserve to die and the rest of us will be fine. Sure, maybe the new ‘big one’ will think that a more sizable amount of the population deserve to die, but that just depends on one’s perspective of who deserves to die. People like me will be equally upset as we have been during covid and people who don’t particularly care about other people’s pain and suffering won’t care. And it’ll be a win as more people on the low end of the income ladder who manage to survive will get even more bargaining power as their ranks get diminished even more!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It’ll kill off the people who deserve to die and the rest of us will be fine. Sure, maybe the new ‘big one’ will think that a more sizable amount of the population deserve to die, but that just depends on one’s perspective of who deserves to die. People like me will be equally upset as we have been during covid
    No one is saying anyone deserves to die (though now that vaccines are available they are bringing death on themselves).

If you would be equally upset by covid as with something like the Black Death that wipes out a third of the population you might wish to rethink who is heartless here.

No one is saying anyone deserves to die (though now that vaccines are available they are bringing death on themselves).

If you would be equally upset by covid as with something like the Black Death that wipes out a third of the population you might wish to rethink who is heartless here.
    I’m heartless because I think that selfish anti vax, anti mask folks are putting frail vaccinated people at avoidable risk of death? Interesting theory. And about as believable as sad sack sore loser Larry Elder’s claims of voter fraud in yesterday’s election.

Yppej
    I’m heartless because I think that selfish anti vax, anti mask folks are putting frail vaccinated people at avoidable risk of death? Interesting theory. And about as believable as sad sack sore loser Larry Elder’s claims of voter fraud in yesterday’s election.
    If you believe masks work - prior to covid were you a heartless person for not wearing a mask everywhere you went so frail people wouldn't catch the flu or some other ailment? Where does it ever stop?

If you believe masks work - prior to covid were you a heartless person for not wearing a mask everywhere you went so frail people wouldn't catch the flu or some other ailment? Where does it ever stop?
    No. I was just unknowledgeable. Now I know better.

Yppej
    No. I was just unknowledgeable. Now I know better.
    I guess I'll die with my boots on and you'll die with your mask on.

I guess I'll die with my boots on and you'll die with your mask on.
    Or live with it on since masks save lives. If I’m going to die on a hill it won’t be the hill of masks, it’ll hopefully be my favorite hill, Sweeney Ridge, with my hiking boots on. The discovery site of San Francisco would be a lovely hill to die on.

On the topic of testing, my niece's son (age 12 with first shot only) was sent home to quarantine as routine quick testing done at his school showed him as positive for Covid. My niece was incredulous as this meant the whole family would have to quarantine as well as classmates and the health dept would list him as the initial contact. They took him to the local university hospital ER later that day and had the more accurate test done and it was negative. When they contacted the school with the new results, they were told the positive results had already been submitted to the health dept. and would not let him or classmates return to school. Makes one wonder how many of these quick tests are causing unnecessary chaos during these difficult times.

Thread Information