Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What does “ the science” say about Coronavirus 19 at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, that’s really cool about the church!
    I thought so too. Special dispensation from Pope Leo XIII to have dual faiths in the same building was given to the American Cardinal and was in turn delivered by a local Bishop to the church in 1908.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

An article about loss of taste and smell (common Long Covid symptom) says about one fifth of Covid patients have lingering effects although they do not cite their source for that.

20% is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I thought so too. Special dispensation from Pope Leo XIII to have dual faiths in the same building was given to the American Cardinal and was in turn delivered by a local Bishop to the church in 1908.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
    Cute little church!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    An article about loss of taste and smell (common Long Covid symptom) says about one fifth of Covid patients have lingering effects although they do not cite their source for that.

20% is a lot.
    I've heard of one person whose only symptom was loss of smell/taste; she's long since recovered after several months, but her taste still hasn't completely returned.

https://www.vumc.org/coronavirus/lat...-loss-covid-19

just a quick google search states long-haul symptoms in anywhere from 10-35% post-COVID patients. These figures come from studies cited by UC Davis, CDC, and JAMA, which I consider reliable. Cleveland Clinic, also quite well-known and reliable, says that about 98% of the current COVID cases are being seen in those who haven't had a vaccine. I have no opinion on objective scientific data. My conclusion is that people oughta get vaccinated, since if you get COVID you might end up with long-term symptoms...or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i would LOVE to know what % of Covid sufferers experience Long Covid to a debilitating degree. I suppose we could assume “Long Covid” IS debilitating or else we wouldnt be studying it tho.

Then…how long does Long Covid last? Someone in my condo has it and she says she’s on a discussion forum for Long Covid. She said people report waking up one morning and poof it is gone. I do think it’s possible that we don’t know how long it lasts because we haven’t been in the disease bubble long enough to have good data and of,course “Long “ is longer for some than for others.

Finally, what are the top symptons of Long Covid?
    Answers from this source: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-202010152479

[I][B]"Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has speculated that long COVID likely is the same as or very similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)."
    "The most common symptoms are fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, inability to exercise, headache, and difficulty sleeping. Since COVID-19 is a new disease that first appeared in December 2019, we have no information on long-term recovery rates."

From here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...us-long-covid/

How long it takes to recover from COVID-19 is different for everybody.Many people feel better in a few days or weeks and most will make a full recovery within 12 weeks. But for some people, symptoms can last longer."

"Published studies and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A year and a half after having Covid my sister is still on two inhalers, her blood pressure is all over the place, cognitive issues and deep fatigue. My daugher in law still has stomach problems, cognitive issues and deep fatigue eight months out.

The cognitive issues I did not know about.

There doesnt seem to be a clear answer on % of patients with Long Covid.

20%
    10-35%
    50-80%

The latter seems too high but I would believe 10-35%.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has speculated that long COVID likely is the same as or very similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)."

I suddenly feel a lot smarter, as that's what I wrote a few posts ago, off the top of my head. But we're in the very early stages of learning about this disease.

I think we are still so in the thick of this that it will be years before we understand all its effects.

Thread Information