Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New direction with house hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You should try to get on Love It Or List It. Take some of your money from the house you sold, fix up the house you have to increase its sale value, then look at what Hillary has done with the place and decide would you rather keep it or move to someplace else that David finds for you.
    She hasn’t talked about what’s wrong with the place she’s living in. I would like to know what the top three problems are with it. Hillary may not be able to solve that if it has to do with location, or siting, or that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    She hasn’t talked about what’s wrong with the place she’s living in. I would like to know what the top three problems are with it. Hillary may not be able to solve that if it has to do with location, or siting, or that sort of thing.
    We don't like the house, the land, or the location enough to put any money into it. It is a bad fit for us. It also has a large 30 year mortgage. It would be good to sell it asap, we just need a place to go.

If I remember correctly you are close to my age which means you are closer to 70 than 60. Having more than 3 acres doesn’t sound feasible long term. Like you guys I have owned too many places and buying and selling is costly. I bought my condo contingent on my house selling but it was in escrow at the time. The seller choose my offer anyway because I was putting so much money down that he knew my tiny mortgage would go through. He wanted the offer that would close.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If I remember correctly you are close to my age which means you are closer to 70 than 60. Having more than 3 acres doesn’t sound feasible long term. Like you guys I have owned too many places and buying and selling is costly. I bought my condo contingent on my house selling but it was in escrow at the time. The seller choose my offer anyway because I was putting so much money down that he knew my tiny mortgage would go through. He wanted the offer that would close.
    That’s what I plan to do when I sell our city house. I want the offer that will close. I’m less concerned about how much money I get for this house.

IL, I also chose the offer most likely to close because I didn’t want to lose my condo. I paid 20 over asking and 4 short months later the condo as well as my house are both worth much more. I don’t care because I got what I wanted.

I wondered about the age thing too and buying a rural property. It's a lot to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I wondered about the age thing too and buying a rural property. It's a lot to keep up with.
    DH is a busy worker bee, and I like the idea of him riding around on his lawn tractor as well as his REAL Massey Ferguson 50 farm tractor, working our tiny one acre. It will keep him occupied. If something happens to him I would sell the Hermann property within one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, I also chose the offer most likely to close because I didn’t want to lose my condo. I paid 20 over asking and 4 short months later the condo as well as my house are both worth much more. I don’t care because I got what I wanted.
    We took the cash offer with the short close over the higher financed offers, and they were higher. But I did not want to wait around to see if they got their financing, or if the house passed their finance requirements. They did inspections and then we reduced it a little, and were done in two weeks.

When planning one's life, it has struck me several times that one needs a Plan A and Plan B as well as a Plan C. When we had to eventually follow Plan C, it has always ended up being the best move in retrospect.

Properties with acreage have been in great demand for decades. I had a hard time finding our property in 1991 and had to hassle someone to ensure that we got it.

Some friends sold their property in 2019 for several million to a wealthy neighbour and were looking for a small acreage all last year so that he could do some market gardening and create a corn maze. A year later, with ample cash on hand and offers submitted immediately on any listing available, they were still searching. I haven't heard the rest of the story this year but they moved out of the sold property this spring.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Regarding the idea of owning acres of land when you're older--I'm sure there are situations where the land isn't always something you have to work--it might be wooded or meadow. I think buying a house is like finding Mr./Ms. Right. If you look too hard you don't find what you're looking for. I think you're onto something, Tybee, with the idea of relaxing a little but still keeping your eyes out. You do have a lot on your plate with your mother at this point. You have a house, and you don't have the burden of another right at the moment, so it doesn't seem to me that you have to rush into anything.

DH is big on "meanders"--I'm more the "Google map fastest route" type and he's more of the "Let's just follow the road and see where it takes us." Our best journeys have been when he does it his way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information