Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your "fantasy self" item that is tripping you up?

I have always loved interior design and architecture so I am frequently trying to "beautify" my spaces. There are too many choices. As an example, I just bought a new bedroom rug and now I see that it doesn't quite go with the bed quilt. Or try picking a wall paint color - aargh!!

exercise equipment, lol.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

It used to be canning jars and all those little accessories that let you use them for things other than canning - i.e. lids and straws, lamps, hurricane lamps, soap dispensers, etc.. I ended up with soooo many that I gifted them to folks. Now I think I have just about the right amount and all the accessories for them that I want.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Oh, gosh, what a great question. I was a Renaissance woman-in-training in my young years--I acted, wrote, painted, sewed, did crafts, read, taught Sunday school, volunteered for political campaigns--you name it. In my kid-raising working mom life, all that stuff was mostly set aside. But I still fancied myself an actor, poet, painter, dressmaker, etc etc.

I wonder these days how many of those pursuits have died on the vine, and how many need watering to bloom, because I still like the thought of my "self" being a polymath. Actually, I've added horticulturalist and permaculturalist to my list of endeavors!!

So, I'll get back to you in a couple of years with my answer to this. Most of it is fantasy now, and that's totally OK. My life is pretty full as it is. Plus my brain is less able to juggle everything. I have a sewing machine tucked under my desk. My son sent me acrylic paints for my birthday. I'd like to "water" those things. The acting stuff is dead. The political stuff is dead. I'm not taking anything else on that I can see.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Oh, gosh, what a great question. I was a Renaissance woman-in-training in my young years--I acted, wrote, painted, sewed, did crafts, read, taught Sunday school, volunteered for political campaigns--you name it. In my kid-raising working mom life, all that stuff was mostly set aside. But I still fancied myself an actor, poet, painter, dressmaker, etc etc.

I wonder these days how many of those pursuits have died on the vine, and how many need watering to bloom, because I still like the thought of my "self" being a polymath. Actually, I've added horticulturalist and permaculturalist to my list of endeavors!!

So, I'll get back to you in a couple of years with my answer to this. Most of it is fantasy now, and that's totally OK. My life is pretty full as it is. Plus my brain is less able to juggle everything. I have a sewing machine tucked under my desk. My son sent me acrylic paints for my birthday. I'd like to "water" those things. The acting stuff is dead. The political stuff is dead. I'm not taking anything else on that I can see.
    Reading this post after finishing a chat with my DD1, I realize that in so many ways, as Cath has suggested, I have discarded some of my life's fantasies as completed or not on my agenda any longer. Different perspective!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm a well-stocked multimedia non-practicing artiste. Should get back to that...

I think I solved the kitchen corner dilemma but may have created a new "clutter" issue. Husband's coffee pot kicked the bucket a few weeks ago. I had an extra one stored in our pantry. But upon further inspection, it's a 4 cup one so it's tiny. Husband has been making due with it. Recently, oldest has started drinking coffee out of the blue so 4 cups ends up not being enough anymore. I ordered a bigger coffee pot since my husband was complaining about the small one. I was just planning on storing the smaller one away again just in case. But oldest asked if he could use it for "his " coffee and just stick it on the counter next to the new bigger one. So now we will have two coffee pots on our counter. I am hoping once the bigger one comes, oldest will change his mind and use that one instead. I really really don't want two coffee pots on the counter but it will solve the issue with the weird empty spot on the counter so I am torn. We really don't have a lot on the counters as it is but for some reason this empty corner irks me.

That's funny Klunick. For years I had a 4 cup and I'm pretty much a 1 cup gal. I have a friend who came over and was a constant guzzler. She kept complaining that she was going to get me a big pot. I told her I didn't want one. The ground coffee was next to the pot as was the water. Just.... add...... more...... Ta-da!! Fresh!

I used to have a 4 cup, but - with the average size mug these days - we usually only got 2 cups out of it. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

All the lovely journals I've received or picked up thinking I would use and write my inner most thoughts, clarifying my mind. Also books like The Artist's Way thinking I would devote time to writing, when so far I have not.

I made a much better newspaper writer ---give me an assignment and I can write that up.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information