Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things you thought you would never do....

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I say some of the things my mom did.
    Oh yeah, me too!

About 20 years ago, DD2 was counselling a friend through a challenge was shocked to hear what came out of her own mouth, totally appropriate for the situation but exactly what she had heard me say. After her initial surprise, she told me, it made her laugh and appreciate my earlier efforts.
    It was rather nice to hear that.
    I use some of my mother's favourite sayings. One is - "give flowers to the living, not the dead". I make a point of giving fresh flowers to those going through a down period and it does give them a needed boost. I rarely give flowers at a funeral, once I think.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    About 20 years ago, DD2 was counselling a friend through a challenge was shocked to hear what came out of her own mouth, totally appropriate for the situation but exactly what she had heard me say. After her initial surprise, she told me, it made her laugh and appreciate my earlier efforts.
    It was rather nice to hear that.
    I use some of my mother's favourite sayings. One is - "give flowers to the living, not the dead". I make a point of giving fresh flowers to those going through a down period and it does give them a needed boost. I rarely give flowers at a funeral, once I think.
    I think the tradition of giving flowers at the funeral is dying out, but I know that I, as a funeral attendee, like looking at the floral arrangements. When one of our garden club ladies died unexpectedly there an outpouring of floral arrangements for her “viewing. “There were some interesting and creative designs what you would expect honoring someone who did interesting and creative designs herself.

So that always gives me something to look at and talk about with others, and helps me kill the requisite 40 minutes that you have to spend at rhe viewing events.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not really sure why this is in the family matters section with how it started.

Mine would be have a mortgage again.
    I talked about how I am like my mother..... family trait?? The post then morphed into whatever anyone thought they would never do.

I never thought I'd be living in a beautiful, rural part of NJ. Gorgeous views everywhere I look.

On the verge of menopause and am having trouble losing a few pounds. I was always a twig and could eat anything and not gain weight.

Never thought I'd enjoy shooting. And flying in a powered parachute.

The two above things are due to a special relationship with an amazing man....who happens to be married. He's crazy about me (and I him), he calls me almost every day, truly loves and cares for me. Since he's married he is definitely off-limits and he knows I mean it. However if his situation changed, we'd be together in a second. So for now we're just very good friends who care about each other, get along great, and enjoy each other's company (he was my late cousin's neighbor and helped me out a lot when I was dealing with his estate). I've had boyfriends in the past but never felt so close to them as I do with him. It kinda sucks that it will never be anything more than it is now but that's how it is and I wouldn't do anything to break up his marriage, although it doesn't seem like a happy one for either of them. But that's their problem. I was content being single and wasn't looking for anyone figuring I would never find someone I'd want to be with and then he came along. Bad timing I guess.

I also have some of my mom's mannerisms and saying. Funny thing is one of my kids is starting to do with same - following in my footsteps, so to speak. LOL.
    Last edited by happystuff; 7-23-21 at 12:43pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I never thought I'd be living in a beautiful, rural part of NJ. Gorgeous views everywhere I look.

On the verge of menopause and am having trouble losing a few pounds. I was always a twig and could eat anything and not gain weight.

Never thought I'd enjoy shooting. And flying in a powered parachute.

The two above things are due to a special relationship with an amazing man....who happens to be married. He's crazy about me (and I him), he calls me almost every day, truly loves and cares for me. Since he's married he is definitely off-limits and he knows I mean it. However if his situation changed, we'd be together in a second. So for now we're just very good friends who care about each other, get along great, and enjoy each other's company (he was my late cousin's neighbor and helped me out a lot when I was dealing with his estate). I've had boyfriends in the past but never felt so close to them as I do with him. It kinda sucks that it will never be anything more than it is now but that's how it is and I wouldn't do anything to break up his marriage, although it doesn't seem like a happy one for either of them. But that's their problem. I was content being single and wasn't looking for anyone figuring I would never find someone I'd want to be with and then he came along. Bad timing I guess.
    Two things I would never have put together - menopause and powered parachute! At least ONE of these are enjoyable!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yesterday I picked up two dead bats. Well one was nearly dead. It squeaked its last squeak as I laid it down outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Yesterday I picked up two dead bats. Well one was nearly dead. It squeaked its last squeak as I laid it down outdoors.
    Rabies?
    I read somewhere that bats are the only animals that really present a rabies threat in Washington.

Nah, we have them occasionally here at the workplace. They get in & can't find their way back out to the bugs & water.

Thread Information