Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to curtail Big Tech media

I skimmed this opinion piece and couldn’t make sense of it. Then I tried to read it carefully, and I still don’t quite understand what solutions are being posited here.

The problem according to the op Ed writer is that Income for traditional journalism is dying and something needs to be done about it. Do I have that right?

“ Big Tech” should not be in the content producing business in these United States. If that’s what they are doing, regulate the hell out of them.

I can’t speak for other places in the world where standards for intellectual freedom are less respected and protected.

One of many side issues is the idea that journalism, respected traditional journalism, is killing itself because it’s no longer respected or objective. They need to look internally to solve that problem.

"At best, they send students into the world spouting dogma and treating alternative viewpoints as frightening and dangerous." You spoke this about teachers, Ldahl, but the same is true of parents, and especially of religious schools. And most teachers do try to teach critical thinking skills, and are generally lambasted for it. Hence all that testing. Yes, parents SHOULD teach this skill, but many parents seem to not want their kids to think critically, as that leads to questioning of parental beliefs.

il - you commented that journalism is no longer respected or objective. I think, in many cases, you are right - but I think that we, as consumers of journalism, bear at LEAST as much responsibility for that as journalists do. As long as we, as a society, value money over all else, and as long as we want to be validated, not challenged, in our beliefs, journalism/ news media is going to find their profit in giving us what we want, and NOT what we really deserve.

I don't have any answers, but a discussion about reining in big tech media does seem warranted.

My basic question is: what is big tech media?

Is Facebook “media? “ Is instagram “media?”

They were set up by Congress as tech platforms. They are not authorized to produce content.

The distinction between producing and promoting content though, does it really matter? Why? I'm not sure why at least in terms of how these things tend to actually function (promoting content by algorithm right).

When your parents taught critical thinking, what did they teach? I mean my mom was big on logic games etc.. But, I don't even think that leads to questioning of parental beliefs, beliefs are values based.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

They were set up by Congress as tech platforms. They are not authorized to produce content.
    I agree, to my level of understanding, that this may have been their original plan.

If they were set up by Congress, does Congress have some means of managing them such an banking, etc? It seems that FB and Google agree that their present presence has grown way beyond the parameters originally envisioned by Congress but they have no interest in finding a way of managing this growth so as not to exclude their sources.

The question, to me, seems to be that platforms like FB and Google use info generated at considerable cost by other sources, such as news media, to attract public users to their platforms and sell advertising to those users as a result. The newspapers, as one example, pay the costs of production of info used by the platforms but with decreasing means of revenue from advertising which done increasingly on the platforms.

I think Big Tech platforms are like companies that use the internet highways for delivery and post large ads but pay none of the cost of the content on the highway that users want to see. Probably not a great example but the best that I can think of at present.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I agree, to my level of understanding, that this may have been their original plan.

If they were set up by Congress, does Congress have some means of managing them such an banking, etc? It seems that FB and Google agree that their present presence has grown way beyond the parameters originally envisioned by Congress but they have no interest in finding a way of managing this growth so as not to exclude their sources.

The question, to me, seems to be that platforms like FB and Google use info generated at considerable cost by other sources, such as news media, to attract public users to their platforms and sell advertising to those users as a result. The newspapers, as one example, pay the costs of production of info used by the platforms but with decreasing means of revenue from advertising which done increasingly on the platforms.

I think Big Tech platforms are like companies that use the internet highways for delivery and post large ads but pay none of the cost of the content on the highway that users want to see. Probably not a great example but the best that I can think of at present.
    Can you give three examples that I would see regularly of how big tech is using or stealing journalistic pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

But they do control it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    But they do control it.
    yes they may be, so regulate the fk out of them.

I am not certain what you all are talking about because I sense it is different from my concerns. Is Facebook stealing ABC News’ content?

IL, what would you like to know about the north-east fires? Ask Google? Who is providing the info? It is not Google but other sources with no reimbursement. Google ads generate Google revenue alone.
    What does the NASA say about drones and fire fighting water bombers? Ask Google? It is not Google who generates the info that you are looking at. Google gets all the revenue from the ads that you are seeing.

Which is the biggest grower of lilies today? Ask Google? It is not Google supplying the info but Google takes all the funding from the ads you see in your search.

I don't use FB although I have an account so will leave that to another person with more knowledge about FB.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I get Reuters and Al-Jazeera in my FB newsfeed, and there are probably others. I don't think there's undo influence from FB there, but you never know.

Thread Information