Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to curtail Big Tech media

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, what would you like to know about the north-east fires? Ask Google? Who is providing the info? It is not Google but other sources with no reimbursement. Google ads generate Google revenue alone.
    What does the NASA say about drones and fire fighting water bombers? Ask Google? It is not Google who generates the info that you are looking at. Google gets all the revenue from the ads that you are seeing.

Which is the biggest grower of lilies today? Ask Google? It is not Google supplying the info but Google takes all the funding from the ads you see in your search.

I don't use FB although I have an account so will leave that to another person with more knowledge about FB.
    I believe your Google examples are incorrect. Google simply directs you to the various news sources, they make their money selling and sharing ad space with those original content providers. They may exert a little influence in which content providers they direct you to and that's where Congress comes into the picture with their apparent belief they can legislate just about anything.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe your Google examples are incorrect. Google simply directs you to the various news sources, they make their money selling and sharing ad space with those original content providers. They may exert a little influence in which content providers they direct you to and that's where Congress comes into the picture with their apparent belief they can legislate just about anything.
    Where a source or company or anything falls (i.e. in what order they are listed) on a Google search result page is also bought and paid for. Found that out back when I worked for the small online retail company. We had to pay to fall on the first page of a Google search for something like "where to buy blue suede shoes". (One also paid if one wanted a list of the most commonly search words! which supposedly varied over short periods of time, so companies would pay to have their ads reflect those words, etc.. It was all way more complicated and expensive than I ever imagined and not something a small company could afford with no guarantees of increased sales.) Internet searches, themselves, are a pretty big business/money maker.

Same thing - sort of - on Amazon. A search for "blue suede shoes" on Amazon resulted in this https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blue+sued...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Notice the first is an Amazon Prime listing and second is a "sponsored" listing - paid for by the vendor.

My point here being that it's not just ads that pop up along side search results that are bought and sold, and Google does not just "simply direct".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We all know that I am no techie but my understanding is that the suppliers of info are asking Google to share the money made on ad space. Google would have no value on their ad space without the suppliers of the info to which they are directing the users.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

IL, what would you like to know about the north-east fires? Ask Google? Who is providing the info? It is not Google but other sources with no reimbursement. Google ads generate Google revenue alone.
    What does the NASA say about drones and fire fighting water bombers? Ask Google? It is not Google who generates the info that you are looking at. Google gets all the revenue from the ads that you are seeing.

Which is the biggest grower of lilies today? Ask Google? It is not Google supplying the info but Google takes all the funding from the ads you see in your search.

I don't use FB although I have an account so will leave that to another person with more knowledge about FB.
    I was Specific about asking you how you view this problem because I don’t understand it as framed in this discussion. Believe me, I think big tech is a problem, but not necessarily in the way that has been described here.

When I use Google and type in “biggest supplier of lily bulbs” Google presents me with a hit list of web sites. I honestly do not know how Google makes money at this point, but Judith’s (she is on a first name basis with every lily judge) The Lily Garden is the second site listed on the hitlist presented to me.

Hers is a company that produces a product. Do you think The Lily Garden actually pays Google? It might, I dont know. I do know that the science of website design includes gaming the Google algorithms to get companies higher in the hitlist.

This is not a good example of the opening topic, traditional news services losing money to Google.

OK, Idahl, having slammed the one approach, how do YOU, meaning you Idahl, suggest that Big Tech's power to suck the life out of all journalism alternatives be reduced? Don't simply disparaging one idea without offering a better approach or even an elementary alternative.
    r
    At present, journalists are paid by news media and they go where the stories are. Big Tech uses these reports and takes the advertising revenue away from the suppliers of the reports. When did Google and Facebook hire journalists to report from the northeast fires, Asia, the mid-East, Africa and pay the expenses involved in maintaining news networks?

BTW, let's not detour by slamming the journalists instead. Yes, there are good and bad just as in any other occupation.
    I’m a free market guy, so I don’t think we need to do anything. Given time, some providers will survive and some fail as business models adapt. Journalists
    like to portray themselves as sacred guardians of the truth, but they are as much a business as fast food.

Also, I’m a bit skeptical of the assertion that “Big Tech” is eating everyone’s lunch. They just make for a good bogeyman. Print journalism has been in decline for many years without much help from Mr Zuckerberg. Broadcast has fragmented from a small club into a million little pieces ever since cable, which is probably a good thing. I say let each segment of the market be free to inform or confirm biases as they see fit.

I don’t think it’s a great idea to look to government to regulate these platforms to the liking of every pressure group, political party or regnant cultural current. I especially don’t like government in the news business. Then you get foolishness like NPR attaching trigger warnings to the Declaration of Independence.

Yea Amazon has become pretty much un-usable for most stuff at this point, due to low quality stuff being the first stuff listed. It used to be better, well yes it did, instead of just sponsored stuff you would see what others users had viewed/bought instead which usually led in much more promising directions. Plus you used to actually see name brand stuff, now it's random grab bag brand, or their own brand.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

We all know that I am no techie but my understanding is that the suppliers of info are asking Google to share the money made on ad space. Google would have no value on their ad space without the suppliers of the info to which they are directing the users.
    I believe Google Ad Sense ads on various web sites pay the content providers somewhere between 50 and 70 percent of the revenue generated by those ads.
    That's why virtually every site on the internet has ads embedded in them, this one excepted of course.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I believe Google Ad Sense ads on various web sites pay the content providers somewhere between 50 and 70 percent of the revenue generated by those ads.
    That's why virtually every site on the internet has ads embedded in them, this one excepted of course.
    For which I am grateful! Thank you!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That is info of which I was not aware. Thank you! I have Ad-blocker on my computer but not the iPad so have noticed the volume of ads on the iPad.

FWIW, I pay for the e-edition of the local paper plus an international paper and donate to the Guardian and Wikipedia so I don't expect news media or info for free either.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information