Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Delta Variant.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The Delta Variant.....

So, I remember back in January 2020 starting the thread about the coronavirus - I was mildly spooked and even I had no idea things would turn out the way they have and continue to do. But now we are facing a variant that is more transmissible and seems to have a number of willingly unvaccinated folks to infect. What do you think? More lockdowns, more drama, economic recovery put on hold, starting travel stopping again? Rob

I don’t think many states will lock down again. Locally the deaths have been in unvaccinated people. I really feel sorry for the people that can’t be vaccinated for health reasons.

Yppej
    I predict liberal states will make children under 12 mask up at school and existing restrictions (like mask mandates at the doctor's office) will not be rolled back any time soon.

If most of the unvaccinated are Republicans and Delta kills some of them off this could help Democrats in the midterms.

I doubt there will be much in the way of lockdowns. A more likely scenario is that the delta variant will burn through the unvaxxed and also infect less seriously a moderate number of vaxxed.

This article does a good job of explaining both breakthrough cases and also when and where the vaxxed should wear masks or avoid altogether depending on one’s risk tolerance. Extreme TLDR version: people infected with delta shed waaaaaay more virus than previous variants and people who have been vaxxed can still be infected if they get bombed with enough virus. (Enough to get infected depends on one’s personal circumstances such as how old and healthy you are).

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covi...ine-masks.html

I'm thinking that those individuals who take the simple precautions already known will be less likely to get and/or pass on the variant, while those more selfish individuals and/or those with less concern for others and themselves will, as before, be at a higher risk. Sadly, getting sick is the only way some folks will gain some realization of the seriousness of all of this. And if/when more people start getting sick and/or die, I can see shut-downs being re-instated. Lots of "ifs".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Last Friday, we heard from four different families we know, that people they say are vaccinated, have caught the delta variant. Only one has ended up in the hospital.
    On the way to work the other day, they mentioned the Lambda variant has been found in Texas now. Pretty sure that is the India strain.
    I fully expect that we will go back to masks at some point, mandated. Not mandated, locally, we have gone back to around 50% of people wearing masked, vaccinated or not.

Delta is the Indian strain. Lambda is widespread throughout South America, I believe.

Tuesday I was in a big medical building and was expecting masks to be mandatory. They weren’t unless you weren’t vaccinated.

They can mandate but how seriously do they think anyone takes it at this point? At the doctor's maybe. At the store perhaps.

But I have been out to eat twice in the last week, and not a lot of masking going on (of course, if the situation is so bad that fully vaccinated people need to mask to avoid spreading or getting it, then going out to eat inside a restaurant makes no sense to begin with, so ... yea try to straddle that fence but you will end up on one side or the other - because I can see no situation in which fully vaccinated people must take all precautions and yet eating inside a restaurant is safe). Vaccination rates many parts are good though. I mean so the restaurant may be in an area with 80% of the eligible vaccinated (kids still aren't eligible).
    Trees don't grow on money

I was just at Target and saw maybe 40% masked. I actually bought some disposable masks. Last during the worst of it, I was either unemployed or working at home until March. So I just went grocery shopping or diving, with some out of town road trips to OH or WI, with one trip to MI.

I’m vaxxed but I don’t want to get sick. Would mess with my diving.

Chicago is holding Lalapalooza next week. 100K people in Grant Park for each of 3 days. That’s insane. A lot of doctors are saying to cancel, but so far nothing from the mayor. As one head of a local hospital group said, the teenage/20s/30s population that will go to this event has low vaxx rates, plus add alcohol and bad judgement results. You’re supposed to show proof of bring vaxxed or a negative test 72 hours before attending, but there’s been talk on the radio of forged vax cards.

We’re going to see a lot of cases from this. No doubt. They should cancel, IMO.

Thread Information