Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Delta Variant.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So why all the paranoia and urge to reimpose restrictions over something generally no more serious than a cold, if that? Why punish the vaccinated for the fact that others refuse vaccinations?

That's like saying no one should be able to drive because some people drive drunk, and because kids can't drive yet and it's not fair to them. (And no, the pediatric wards are not filling with children because covid doesn't target them.)

#IDidn'tGetVaccinatedForNothing

Even CDC ads on TV urge those ages 12 to 18 to get vaccinated so life can get back to normal, not so we can cower in fear forever. If we were 100% vaccinated there are those who would still want masks due to breakthrough infections no more serious than a cold.
    Maybe because for everyone that hasn’t been vaxxed COVID DOESNT PRESENT AS A COLD. Just because vaxxed people present with a cold doesn’t mean they give a cold to non Vaxxed people.

I get it. There’s a sizeable chunk of the US population that just doesn’t give a shit about anyone but themselves, but damn, y’all are unbelievable.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe because for everyone that hasn’t been vaxxed COVID DOESNT PRESENT AS A COLD. Just because vaxxed people present with a cold doesn’t mean they give a cold to non Vaxxed people.

I get it. There’s a sizeable chunk of the US population that just doesn’t give a shit about anyone but themselves, but damn, y’all are unbelievable.
    There is a sizeable chunk of the population that doesn't care about themselves and refuse to get vaccinated. Should all of us put our lives and our rights on hold forever? Because this is a free country and you can't force them to get vaccinated. I don't restrict my activities out of concern for measles or other outbreaks because of anti-vaxxers and I don't see any reason to do it with covid either.

There is a sizeable chunk of the population that doesn't care about themselves and refuse to get vaccinated. Should all of us put our lives and our rights on hold forever? Because this is a free country and you can't force them to get vaccinated. I don't restrict my activities out of concern for measles or other outbreaks because of anti-vaxxers and I don't see any reason to do it with covid either.
    No. People should get effing vaccinated. If everyone did that then we wouldn’t be in this mess. But since that ain’t gonna happen we need to actually care about everyone. There are lots of immunicompronised people and people under age 12 who can’t get vaxxed. Do they not matter?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No. People should get effing vaccinated. If everyone did that then we wouldn’t be in this mess. But since that ain’t gonna happen we need to actually care about everyone. There are lots of immunicompronised people and people under age 12 who can’t get vaxxed. Do they not matter?
    Covid is not a significant risk for children.

Immunocompromised people (I've known several who are housebound) have a lot more than covid to worry about, and pre-covid they did things like mask up to protect themselves from other diseases. That isn't going to change even after herd immunity is achieved, which the Delta variant may accelerate. Yet we didn't restrict the freedoms of the 99.999% for the point .001% compromised before so why now? There are not " a lot" of them most places. Maybe San Francisco where you are is different because of high HIV rates. A utilitarian argument of the greatest good for the greatest number has to come into play, and that good includes economic rights and civil liberties.

It reminds me of my son. I shouldn't replace the broken hot water heater, I should boil water on the stove when I need to take a bath. I shouldn't fix the ceiling that's caving in or restore power to the rooms in the house where it's out because due to his illness it makes him uncomfortable to have repair people in the house. I shouldn't have family members visit even if he is not home because it makes him anxious. Everything has to revolve around his illness. Well it sucks that he's ill but at some point the rest of the world gets to go on with life, and sick people have to take steps to protect themselves the best they can without expecting everyone else to walk on eggshells and jump through hoops.

So you're not the first person to tell me I don't care about others because I don't let you dictate to me how I live my life. Wear a mask the rest of your life while you jet around picking up variants from other parts of the country and world (because the mask won't stop the tiny covid particles). Meanwhile in the 1 hour radius from my home where I live my humble life I matter too, and so do my rights.

Some of these cold symptoms are probably so mild that people figure it's just an allergy etc. (and there is so much smoke in the air above north america too, some respiratory symptoms would be expected). We never really got cheap available home tests did we? Noone is going to do home tests at $20 a pop, test themselves for a sneeze but maybe it was just the black pepper in the soup or something.
    Trees don't grow on money

Covid is not a significant risk for children.

Immunocompromised people (I've known several who are housebound) have a lot more than covid to worry about, and pre-covid they did things like mask up to protect themselves from other diseases. That isn't going to change even after herd immunity is achieved, which the Delta variant may accelerate. Yet we didn't restrict the freedoms of the 99.999% for the point .001% compromised before so why now? There are not " a lot" of them most places. Maybe San Francisco where you are is different because of high HIV rates. A utilitarian argument of the greatest good for the greatest number has to come into play, and that good includes economic rights and civil liberties.

It reminds me of my son. I shouldn't replace the broken hot water heater, I should boil water on the stove when I need to take a bath. I shouldn't fix the ceiling that's caving in or restore power to the rooms in the house where it's out because due to his illness it makes him uncomfortable to have repair people in the house. I shouldn't have family members visit even if he is not home because it makes him anxious. Everything has to revolve around his illness. Well it sucks that he's ill but at some point the rest of the world gets to go on with life, and sick people have to take steps to protect themselves the best they can without expecting everyone else to walk on eggshells and jump through hoops.

So you're not the first person to tell me I don't care about others because I don't let you dictate to me how I live my life. Wear a mask the rest of your life while you jet around picking up variants from other parts of the country and world (because the mask won't stop the tiny covid particles). Meanwhile in the 1 hour radius from my home where I live my humble life I matter too, and so do my rights.
    jeppy is making some good points here. Ok I said some.

I am not sure what you all are arguing about. It appears everyone on the forum is vaccinated and following their local rules whether they agree with them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am not sure what you all are arguing about. It appears everyone on the forum is vaccinated and following their local rules whether they agree with them or not.
    We’re arguing about the fact that a not insignificant number of fully vaxxed people are being infected. For now that’s not a big deal except that 1) they can infect others because they think they just have a cold, 2) there are a sizable number of people who either cant’t be vaxxed (kids) or can’t benefit from vax (immune compromised) who are at risk of infection if rates are high in their community and 3) virus mutations are most likely to happen when immune compromised people get infected. The delta variant is a 23 mutation difference that happened in ONE immune compromised person in India. We’re lucky that the vaccines still protect against serious illness from delta. If the next big mutation evades the current vaccines we’re back to square one except with a way more infectious version of the virus.

Yes that’s horrible if it happened but I also have learned to not worry about things outside my circle of control before it just causes anxiety. Also most things people worry about never happens. But carry on if it makes you all happy.,

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes, but not everyone on the forum is continually complaining and whining about not being able to do things without a mask simply because they are vaccinated and that is the miracle prevent-all which should allow them to do and go wherever they want unmasked, regardless of ANYONE else around them! See previous posts where Yppey states she doesn't need to social distance from others, but THEY should social distance from her; that SHE shouldn't need to wear a mask for an eye exam regardless of it being a requirement and the dr should mask - not her, etc. She may be reluctantly following her local rules, but is looking non-locally to find ways around the rules and complains when she can't find a way around them. And, even more obvious in her posts, she seems totally miserable and unhappy - all because of the wearing of a simple mask in certain places and at certain times.

It is the degree of selfish behavior and lack of compassion that is being exhibited, and wondering whether these behaviors are realized and being done on purpose or just the nature of the individual. Which, again, is why I say to you, Yppey, you sincerely have my prayers and hope that you can find some happiness.

So, to answer your question, tt, that is what my participation in this discussion has been about. And now that my part of the conversation seems to just be repeating the same old stuff, I guess I'm done.

Still wishing health and happiness to all!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information